A room with a view...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
A couple of pictures from the flight deck of my friend's 777-200; he just got back from a trip from DFW to Narita, Japan (13 hours non-stop).

Thought you'd like to see these, too; the one over Alaska is cool (pun intended).

That is so pretty!
Troy, can you decipher any of the indications on the ehis? Are those notations pointing out nearest airports? "UHSS 926nm"

Pretty cool. I see the alt tape shows FL350 but the radio alt shows FL350 + 70. Am I reading that correctly?

Dave and Richard,

Here are the answers to your questions, from Capt. Stan Bissell himself:

>The callouts on the PFD, like UHSS 926nm with an arrow, are those pointing
>to the nearest airports that fit a certain criteria?

Yes. These are designated alternates, and/or the nearest piece of concrete
in case of emergency. I could tell you what they are, but you might have
more fun looking them up. As you can see, we are a long way from any landing.

>Why does the altimeter tape show 35000, and the altimeter show 35000+70'?

The round altimeter is the standby altimeter which is not fully corrected
for all atmospheric effects, so it will often differ from the main altimeters.

Here's another picture, that depicts how they receive their clearances (and accept them) via satellite now, instead of having to try to use the HF radio.

They carry a LOT of fuel... 132000 pounds showing in this photo. Temp is -46 degrees C. The temp showing next to the fuel load is the FUEL temp.

Troy, thanks for posting these, they're fun to look at and are interesting. Thanks for the follow up on the previous questions.

Another Q: The round altimeter, although a back up instrument, seems to show more precision than the tape readout. Which do they use during the approach to a landing? Do they make the atmospheric corrections when at the lower alt?

Thanks for sharing. Cool photo of Alaska and interesting photo's inside the plane.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Troy I added some labels, mostly questions. What do you think.

OK, Dave. Here are some answers to the questions. Going left to right from the top of the page:

1. Correct on GS, TAS, wind, etc.
2. Heading bug is on 66 degrees, airplane is on heading 66 degrees. Airplane track over the ground is 62 degrees. That 3 degrees of difference is for the wind.
3. Correct on Adak, except it is 843 Nautical Miles.
4. Correct on next waypoint and that is eta and distance to the waypoint.
5. Correct on the Altitude and VS tapes.
6. Correct on Shemya.
7. The 320 is a range milage. The display can be scaled up or down. THe range is from 10 NM to 640 NM. The range selected is the 640 NM range. In otherwords, you can see out to 640 NM in front of the airplane on that particular scale.
8. The 1220Z is just a time reminder. You can put a time in the Fix page of the FMC and it will display on the Nav display. On oceanic routes like this, we are required to plot our position at 10 minutes after crossing a fix. I suspect that is what that is in there for.
9. Correct on the next waypoint.
10. S/C stands for Step Climb. Depending on what the pilots put in the FMC for step intervals, i.e. 1000 ft steps, 2000 foot, etcetera, that is when it is most advantageous to initiate a climb to the next higher flight level.
11. ARPT stands for Airport. There are several different things that can be displayed on the map. They are controlled by the DSP or Display Selector Panel They include things like Airports, Waypoints, Terrain, Weather, etcetera.
12. Correct on STD. It stands for STanDard, or 29.92 or 1013, depending on whether Inches or Millibars is selected.
13. Everything else is correct.

Thanks Greg,

"i love electronic gadgets"

(huh. I woulda thought the TRK 62 MAG meant what the aircraft was making good, and the rectangle with a divet was the bug)

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks Greg,

"i love electronic gadgets"

(huh. I woulda thought the TRK 62 MAG meant what the aircraft was making good, and the rectangle with a divet was the bug)

The purple part is the bug. The white V inside the bug is the actual heading. The white line going up the middle of the display (the one that the "320" is referenced to) is the ground track.

Last edited:
Greg Bockelman said:
The purple part is the bug. The white V inside the bug is the actual heading. The white line going up the middle of the display (the one that the "320" is referenced to) is the ground track.

That makes sense; 062 ground track made good, bug and heading set to 066.
The wind concurs. Thanks Greg!

Greg Bockelman said:
8. The 1220Z is just a time reminder. You can put a time in the Fix page of the FMC and it will display on the Nav display. On oceanic routes like this, we are required to plot our position at 10 minutes after crossing a fix. I suspect that is what that is in there for.

Good job, Greg. The actual reason that the time reminder of 1220Z was on the screen was when they planned a crew change, when FB and FC would take over for the Captain and FO.

Re: A room with a view (MORE photos)

Okay, here's a link to all of the photos he sent me from this trip. There's 4 quiz questions in there too, for you pilots.

http://tinyurl.com/973cd

NOTE: You do NOT have to log in to view these pictures... just click the "view photos without logging in" link under the login area.

Please do not redistribute these without permission; that's all I ask. They are his photos, not mine, but I'm allowed to share them with y'all!

Troy Whistman said:
Good job, Greg. The actual reason that the time reminder of 1220Z was on the screen was when they planned a crew change, when FB and FC would take over for the Captain and FO.

That too. Among many other reasons. :cheerswine:

What kind of a camera is he using? I can't get closeups of the cockpit that clear with mine...

Oh, #2 is easy. that's DIA, with Barr lake near the top.

Speed said:
What kind of a camera is he using? I can't get closeups of the cockpit that clear with mine...

Oh, #2 is easy. that's DIA, with Barr lake near the top.

Do you mean KDEN?

He's using a Minota DiMage Z5. I've used his camera--it's very nice... has a very high optical zoom, and fits comfortably in the hand, but it's not a pocket digital either.

Troy Whistman said:
Do you mean KDEN?

I'm sure Stacey knows its DEN as she's based there. I on the other hand only see that view when they clear me through the DEN Class B from FTG with instructions to go direct tower. Amazingly I get that pretty often and now ask for it instead of getting vectored around. Pretty cool.

Also, just heads up to you Colorado and transient pilots. FTG (Front Range) is going Class D with a Tower on 8/1/05. I'm sure THAT will be interesting the first few weeks.

Stacey I find that when optical zooming in, mine won't focus. I leave it zoomed pretty far out... go in til it loses focus then back out a bit til it recaptures: and there are enough pixels captured that you can get great detail later, just zoom on the computer program at home later (well, hotel for you) then cut and paste whatever you want.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Stacey I find that when optical zooming in, mine won't focus. I leave it zoomed pretty far out... go in til it loses focus then back out a bit til it recaptures: and there are enough pixels captured that you can get great detail later, just zoom on the computer program at home later (well, hotel for you) then cut and paste whatever you want.

Thanks for the hint Dave. I've got a Nikon CoolPix, which works great most of the time. I get rather annoyed with it though when I try to zoom in. It tries so hard to focus, that by the time it'll actually take a picture, whatever subject I wanted to get is long gone. When I try to take pictures of arriving airplanes, I get blue sky. or possibly the last static wick on the tail.

My wild guesses:
1. Amarillo AMA
2. Denver DEN
3. Lethbridge CYQL
4. Reno RNO

Speed said:
When I try to take pictures of arriving airplanes, I get blue sky. or possibly the last static wick on the tail.
Speed, does your camera have a manual infinity setting? That's what I do when I am going to take pictures where I know the subject is far away. That way the camera isn't trying to focus on empty sky or clouds which is hard for it to do.

I've never had problems focusing on the airplane panel (I have a Sony Cybershot) and I know that our cockpit/flight deck/whatever is smaller than yours. ;)

Everskyward said:
My wild guesses:
1. Amarillo AMA
2. Denver DEN
3. Lethbridge CYQL
4. Reno RNO

You GO, dude! Nice job. #3 was the hardest for me to figure out, but I did, eventually. How'd you identify Lethbridge?

Troy Whistman said:
How'd you identify Lethbridge?
I've been to Calgary a number of times and have flown over Lethbridge. The area looked like southern Alberta based on the geography and the size of the town. Lethbridge was actually my first hunch so I Googled it and found an aerial photo.

Perhaps I should admit that I was a mapping/photogrammetry pilot for years and looking at aerial photos is second nature to me. :yes:

Re: A room with a view (MORE photos)

Troy Whistman said:
Okay, here's a link to all of the photos he sent me from this trip. There's 4 quiz questions in there too, for you pilots.

http://tinyurl.com/973cd

NOTE: You do NOT have to log in to view these pictures... just click the "view photos without logging in" link under the login area.

Please do not redistribute these without permission; that's all I ask. They are his photos, not mine, but I'm allowed to share them with y'all!

Ok... I have a question.

In pic # 59, the airplane is turning slightly, at about 195 IAS and 3810 feet.

Now... I think that those displays are in front of the captain; even if he was PNF does it break the sterile cockpit rule to take pics of the displays below 10,000'? Even if he was in the jumpseat I imagine it wouldn't go over well...

I'm not trying to be a smartass, it really is an honest question.

Great pics from your friend Troy, thanks for posting them!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Everskyward said:
Speed, does your camera have a manual infinity setting? That's what I do when I am going to take pictures where I know the subject is far away. That way the camera isn't trying to focus on empty sky or clouds which is hard for it to do.

I've never had problems focusing on the airplane panel (I have a Sony Cybershot) and I know that our cockpit/flight deck/whatever is smaller than yours. ;)

If it has a manual infinity mode, I don't know how to find it or use it. Got this camera from a pawn shop sans user manual.

Speed said:
If it has a manual infinity mode, I don't know how to find it or use it. Got this camera from a pawn shop sans user manual.

Which camera do you have? Mine is a CoolPix 3200 and I do have the manual somewhere. Haven't had a chance to play with infinity yet though. :lightning:

Check the Manufacturer's web site for a manual. Frequently they are there.

-Skip

Speed said:
If it has a manual infinity mode, I don't know how to find it or use it.
My camera has a MENU button which you push to display and change various settings. However, just like different GPSs and FMSs all manufacturers choose to set things up in a slightly different way. I would take Skip's suggestion and go to the manufacturer's web site.

Well, while I didn't find a user manual, I did find a detailed review of the little camera (Coolpix 3100) and found that for infinity I have to put it in night scene mode. Also found out a few other things the camera will do that I didn't know about. :frog:

Back