A-Rod'$ contract

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
So let me get this straight, A-Rod turned down a contract extension that would have given him 230 mil over the next 8 years, saying he wanted 350. Let's look at that. Splitting it evenly over all 8 years, and assuming he played every inning of every game (including every spring training game) he would get in the neighborhood of $18,000 PER INNING. But that wasn't enough.

I guess my youngest is going to baseball camp next summer after all!!

He has the luxury of being picky. My guess is he'll get what he's looking for.

I just hope he breaks Barry-Blow-Hard's HR record.:)

I'm all for the freedom to negotiate a contract for whatever one wishes. But, I'm convinced there will come a time the ever-increasing contract rates that must be covered will price the fans out of attending games.

Without fans...

Better yet, let them have a strike again... they got a dose of some pretty ticked off fans back then.

But, I'm convinced there will come a time the ever-increasing contract rates that must be covered will price the fans out of attending games.

Back when I was in radio-television-theatre school(early-mid 60s) in Boston we could go to Fenway Park and, after the third inning, get a bleacher seat at no charge. I'd bet that with the cost of fame and Dice-K, that policy is no longer in effect.

HR

When I was a child, bleacher seats at Shea Stadium were, I believe, $1.00 for adults, fifty cents for children and senior citizens, and free after the second inning. The most expensive seats in the house were field- or loge-level box seats, which cost $4.00. Yearbooks were a dollar. Scorecards were a quarter (including the pencil).

Of course, we usually paid nothing to get in. We used to clip coupons from the backs of Dairylea milk containers and save the caps from their bottled milk. For every 10 quarts, we got a free ticket to a Mets game. We went to quite a few games every year by having every woman in the neighborhood give us their empty milk containers. Some were even nice enough to clip the coupons for us.

Today, those same bleacher seats cost as much as $25.00, and box seats cost as much as $82.00, for "Platinum" games. Add to that the cost of parking, a couple of hot dogs, and a couple of beers or soft drinks, and you're talking between $200.00 and $600.00 for a family of four to see a freaking baseball game.

I live about ten minutes from Shea these days, but I haven't been inside the place in more than a decade. I have better things to spend my money on than multi-millionaire ballplayers' inflated salaries. Instead, I've discovered minor-league ball. What the Brooklyn Cyclones lack in skill and polish, they make up for in guts and hustle. It's good baseball and it's cheap.

Rich

Instead, I've discovered minor-league ball. What the Brooklyn Cyclones lack in skill and polish, they make up for in guts and hustle. It's good baseball and it's cheap.

And, because they make mistakes more often, it's more exciting! :yes: Heck, in the majors you can almost tell what the entire play is going to be as soon as the ball's off the bat. "Hmm, that's gonna be a single to left center."

Cedar Rapids Kernels and of course the Iowa Cubs in Des Moines. I do enjoy Minor League ball

Back