Display name:
Tom-D
As to why you don't fly IMC in Alaska

picture by Klaus Marx, N6802B

Attachments

• CumulGranite.jpg
    CumulGranite.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 127
To be ultra picky, I thought the ifr procedures will keep you outta the rocks....and it is the icing and great distances between airports that was the problem.
Point taken from your photo, however!

Interesting photo, none-the-less... Almost like "Islands in the sky"

To be ultra picky, I thought the ifr procedures will keep you outta the rocks....and it is the icing and great distances between airports that was the problem.
Point taken from your photo, however!

great distances between airport can be planed for.

Icing isn't as great a danger as one might think, most of the year its too cold to ice, the moisture is already frozen. and simply abrades your aircraft specially the prop.

The South east is a different story, descending from a subfreezing area/altitude into a almost freezing area/altitude will get you killed.

far-side-3.jpg

great distances between airport can be planed for.

Icing isn't as great a danger as one might think, most of the year its too cold to ice, the moisture is already frozen. and simply abrades your aircraft specially the prop.

Ok, ifr in Alaska is (mostly) fine. Roger.

Ok, ifr in Alaska is (mostly) fine. Roger.

You best be vary good at it.

a story for you related to IFR in AK.

A pilot friend of mine was directly over head of the Northway VOR in a
Cherokee 6 300, when the engine quit, the prop was 12-6:00 and the starter would not budge the engine.

he did 180 degree turns back and forth over the VOR, until he was in position to do the VOR approach to Northway.

he got away with it because he was good at it, and had completed that approach a thousand times before. and the engine quit where it could be done.

You best be good when there are rocks in the clouds near by.

You're toast in much of the country if you lose an engine at teh wrong time, regardless of being VFR or IFR.

There isn't much of Ak, that you can't survive an accident in VFR conditions, in a small GA type aircraft. many do it every year.

Last edited:
Back