A reminder to myself about complacency

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I just finished the annual on my Archer. The prop had 2,500 hours on it, and I thought that it ought to go in for an overhaul at the prop shop at LNS (there was no record in the prop log that it had ever been done). The bottom line was that the chord was too narrow at three stations and it was no longer airworthy. I replaced it with a new prop. :(

The prop shop commented that when the chord is narrower than it should be, there is increased likelihood that the prop will have a tip separation. We all know that that will ruin your day for sure. The prop was probably dressed at each of its 29 annuals, and the repeated filings simply removed too much material.

In the three annuals since I've owned the plane, no IA has checked to see if the prop was within spec. If I hadn't sprung for an overhaul, I never would have known I had a serious problem.

So as a reminder not to be complacent, that prop is now on my office wall, red tag and all, and will remain there.

Bob,

How long since last prop overhaul?

For those with CS props, there is a "TBO" in calendar years, usually 5 years or 6.

wsuffa said:
Bob,

How long since last prop overhaul?

For those with CS props, there is a "TBO" in calendar years, usually 5 years or 6.

I can't find any entry in the logbook saying it had ever been overhauled. All entries for prop time give it the same as the TT -- a tad under 2,500 hrs.

Back