A reason not to buy a Mac....

Boneheads at TSA probably don't read any tech news. Shoot they think they will find plastic explosives in an X-Ray machine. How smart do we really think they are to begin with?

The Macbook Air really needed extra scrutiny. After all it's not big enough to be a threat and hey, we never saw one before. They needed some variety in their boring job and as long as there weren't any old ladies in wheel chairs to strip search...

Hey, if hollowed out that thing could carry four, maybe even five ounces of liquid!! The thing's dangerous!

Except for not getting the concept of a flash drive, this was a good catch by the TSA. I suppose one could rig a shaped charge in a 2.5" x 4" x 0.5" space. :confused:

Except for not getting the concept of a flash drive, this was a good catch by the TSA. I suppose one could rig a shaped charge in a 2.5" x 4" x 0.5" space. :confused:

So if you made it look like a paper notebook instead of something electronic it's not worth looking at?

So if you made it look like a paper notebook instead of something electronic it's not worth looking at?

Don't worry, Mike, in many locations if you're chosen for a "special" search by the TSA, they'll read every piece of paper you have, including everything in your wallet.....

Through the x-ray it goes. I was under the impression that certain chemicals commonly used in explosives give a special return on those x-ray scanners. something to do with certain wavelengths getting reflected by them.

Then again, we are too safety obsessed as a society and the TSA & DHS prove it by their existence.

Through the x-ray it goes. I was under the impression that certain chemicals commonly used in explosives give a special return on those x-ray scanners. something to do with certain wavelengths getting reflected by them.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not the ones they have at the passenger screening checkpoints. Those are decades old technology. The multi-xrays can see liquids better than the single axis ones that are being used now but they cannot tell if it is an explosive or just shampoo.

Should a laptop be forbidden on a commercial flight because the "liquid" crystal display weighs more than three ounces?

Dude, you've got 6 quarts of some mysterious red liquid in your body! TERRIST!
There are people that brings pounds of drugs into this country inside their bodies. how hard could it be to hide enough liquid explosives in you to get past the x-ray machine? The whole thing is ridicules! Anyone wanting to blow up a plane will be able to do it. The TSA is a facade!

There are people that brings pounds of drugs into this country inside their bodies. how hard could it be to hide enough liquid explosives in you to get past the x-ray machine?

shh!! remember they already caught this guy with wires (a napkin, gum, & a rock :dunno:) in his fleshy hind quarters. Sounds like the start of a bad McGuyver episode. :eek:

Four or five ounces of binary liquid explosive will easily take down an airliner.

I wasn't trying to downplay the potential danger of various liquids, I was trying to poke fun at the absurdity of the 3oz rule. As if 3oz is perfectly innocuous, but 3.5 or more is deadly. Or two people with 3oz each will somehow be thwarted...that was the joke I was going for, apparently unsuccessfully.

They also don't seem to be aware that certain roms suffer from repeated exposure to X-Rays.

I always have them out, in a clear plastic case, and explain that X-Rays will destroy them.

They get X-Rayed about half the time anyway.

~ Christopher

I wasn't trying to downplay the potential danger of various liquids, I was trying to poke fun at the absurdity of the 3oz rule. As if 3oz is perfectly innocuous, but 3.5 or more is deadly. Or two people with 3oz each will somehow be thwarted...that was the joke I was going for, apparently unsuccessfully.

The whole thing is a joke. I can inject enough of it in a roll of cough drops to bring down an airliner. I've seen some of this stuff played with, it's potent crap, especially since you're already inside a pumped up pressure vessel.

Then again, we are too safety obsessed as a society and the TSA & DHS prove it by their existence.

No sir, what some of the machines have is a secondary sniffer system in them attuned to nitrates and other volitiles, it is a seperate and unrelated system from the x-ray scanner.

And why couldn't you put the explosive in the battery compartment? I'll bet I could even include a small flatpack battery so the thing would power up (for a short time). I used to have a laptop with two battery compartments. One could easily contain a bomb disguised as the second battery without affecting the ability to power up. Gotta love the TSA's illusion of security.

And why couldn't you put the explosive in the battery compartment? I'll bet I could even include a small flatpack battery so the thing would power up (for a short time). I used to have a laptop with two battery compartments. One could easily contain a bomb disguised as the second battery without affecting the ability to power up. Gotta love the TSA's illusion of security.

It's not about security, it's about the perception of security and that the politicians are doing something. You have to remember, 80% of everybody is stupid.

It's not about security, it's about the perception of security and that the politicians are doing something. You have to remember, 80% of everybody is stupid.

That's what I meant by "illusion".

I wouldn't go for airport security.

I'd get some guy a job at the catering company and roll a cart full of amfo on. No need to procure fancy explosives.

~ Christopher

Back