A real nice day to have fun flying

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
Yesterday was one of those days that everything just seemed to fit. My Bride and I were scheduled to fly and as we began our day with the sun coming up she said; "When will you make the decision to fly" I told her as soon as we check the weather and of course do the preflight etc. She asked hopefully, "When are you going to check the weather" and I told I have already started checking the wether, as I looked out the window to see a rising sun come up over Harris Creek.
A short while later as we rode our bikes to the other end of the island where we live I told her I am still checking the weather. I looked at the clear blue sky and watched all the sea birds that were either soaring or flying to their feeding grounds. I felt a nice breeze begin to blow gently on the Chesapeake Bay side of the island. I told my bride I wanted to ride over to see how the waves were. A short ride later I saw the waves with no white caps coming from the northwest to the shore line at my feet. I watched the watermen out in their Dead Rise Work Boats harvesting crabs from trot lines and pots just a half mile out. They were riding nicely in the waves no spray or "bone in the teeth" as I watched.

My bride then said: "The weather is ok" for I can tell you have a smile on your face" I said we are going to the airport. After our early morning bike ride I got on to the computer and got my weather from as manyusual sources as possible. I also go to the Marine forcasts for Sandy Point which is accross the bay from W29. Then just before we left for the airport we took a quick walk over to Dogwood Harbor where I listened and talked with the Watermen who had just come in with their catch. Between all the "Yups" and "lookin Good" I learned that the breeze was close to 15 knots out on the Bay from Walnut Point all the way up to Sandy Point. A great day to be on the water as one said.

With that very informative information, off we went to the airport. Soon we were flying over some of the most beautiful areas of our land. The air was just as forecast light turbulance and a nice northwesterly breeze that seemed to be troubled by thermals coming off the land. We flew over the water near the shore line for smooth air. I stayed close to shore for one of the fellows at the airport, spoke about seeing Bull Sharks in the Bay just last week while he was out fishing. Humm. My bride was happy with her schetch pad and camera.

She wanted to take pictures and found that after 10 pictures the battery died. Oh well. She just enjoyed looking at all the activity going on below on the Bay and Rivers. We could see the Delaware Bay from the Shore line of the Chesapeake Bay at 2,500 feet. My bride could not believe how clear it was. She noticed as we flew I just used finger tips as we bumped along. I told her I am smoothing out the bumps by being gentle with the controls.
As a renter now I saw that our time to land was coming up.
We headed back to the field and soon we were in the pattern. My bride said that the time went too fast. With a nice breeze blowing down the runway our ground speed was so nice and slow. We touched do with a nice thump and soon were at the ramp. My bride helped with the fueling and putting the plane away. She seems to want us to keep flying. She even said she wants to finish her goal of taking pictures of where we live and surounding areas to show to the relatives.

It was a real nice day to fly and I am glad my bride was there to enjoy it with me.

Thank you for reading

John J

John,

I can smell the sea breeze, see the sunrise, and hear the bike tires and chains... And my mind's eye can see your flight as well. You have two remarkable gifts: The gift of perception which allows you to enjoy these details so much, and the gift of writing to share it with all of us. Keep 'em coming! :)

John,

I can smell the sea breeze, see the sunrise, and hear the bike tires and chains... And my mind's eye can see your flight as well. You have two remarkable gifts: The gift of perception which allows you to enjoy these details so much, and the gift of writing to share it with all of us. Keep 'em coming! :)

Kent;

Thank you very much. I enjoyed so much reading your Great Adventure Story. I am looking so forward to your detailed version. What a great time and so much fun. That is what flying and seeing the country is all about. As pilots we are so lucky and your story really is great.

John

That's what flying is all about! Here's to many more adventures!!!!:cheerswine:

Back