A real "Hold my beer" NTSB report...

Could be...who woulda thought Target was saving your credit card number and personal information every time you swiped your card at the cash register. And if they were doing it I'm sure others were as well, just so happens they were the ones that got hacked.

Actually if there doing the transaction correctly, they’re not saving your card number without your permission. And it should be encrypted from the terminal to a transaction processor.

If they’re doing it right. Many just accept the fines for not doing it right which is pure profit for the card companies, and plow on with whatever inappropriate handling they were doing.

Good luck getting a list of businesses who fail PCI for transactions from the card companies who created PCI and administer it. Fox watching the henhouse.

@wsuffa

Actually to print the info on the receipt does not require storing it. Now, if the store reprints the receipt with the info at a future date then yes it is stored.
And, yes the store manager was repeating company policy.

@denverpilot

lmao, you actually understate it, I have spent almost twenty years in cyber security and the payments industry. :D

Tim

@wsuffa

@denverpilot

lmao, you actually understate it, I have spent almost twenty years in cyber security and the payments industry. :D

I remember. And yeah. It’s all quite a joke. These companies lose hundreds of millions to card fraud every year. They don’t care when the plastic makes them billions.

Actually if there doing the transaction correctly, they’re not saving your card number

Uhhh that was the whole point of my post wasn't it? That they WERE saving it. And the data wasn't properly secured. Otherwise 110 million customers wouldn't have had their card numbers stolen.

Uhhh that was the whole point of my post wasn't it? That they WERE saving it. And the data wasn't properly secured. Otherwise 110 million customers wouldn't have had their card numbers stolen.

Ahh I forgot Target did that. I do however remember a number of reasons that I rarely shop at Target... :) Well actually I’ve forgotten some of those, too... but it’s easier just to avoid them. Ha.

Curious why there was no (recorded) interview of the 3 passengers who sustained “serious injuries”
There is more info when you view the full docket. Still only one passenger report.

Back