A REAL cross-country

For sure, the Milan Foundation is great to work with. I didn't get to meet Cesar on this trip, but met the Executive Director of the Cesar and Ilusion Milan foundation. A very nice guy, and I'm hoping to work with the whole team more in the future. A great group.

Ted,
Next time you are in Utah, I hope to find out in advance!

You bet, Adam! Although Ogden looks to be near SLC, and I'm in Kanab, on the southern side of the state. Want to take your glider and soar on down? :)

Ted -
I just found this smilie for you...
cloud9.gif

Thanks, Peggy. :)

That flight is definitely the most significant to date. Check one off the bucket list.

Just read this. Best Friends is quite a place! My girlfriend at the time loved animals and used to volunteer there occasionally, when we lived in Page AZ. Work-wise, we occasionally took injured wildlife there for rehab. Kanab is an interesting place too, kind of a funky combination of old-school small-town Mormon folks and granola outdoor-type refugees from California and Colorado, living (mostly) in harmony. Miss it :(

Kanab is a great town, I'd like to spend more time there. But you also definitely can't live there and expect to see civilization (like, say, a WalMart) unless you have an airplane. There was one very cool lady there who owned a turbo Mooney, worked at Best Friends.

People who live in these spots (like me) just get used to the long drives. Hour or more for Wal-Mart and Costco (and movies and malls and dentist and airplane mechanics etc etc) are a lifestyle for us.

From Kanab it is about 1:15 to drive to Page, or 2 hours to St. George.

For the two years I lived in Page I felt I was high on the hog due to having a Safeway AND a Wal-Mart right there. Doesn't happen often for me.

When I lived at the top of Lake Powell it was ninety miles to the nearest town on that side of the lake. The fastest route to real shopping (other than a small grocery in Blanding) was to take the ferry across Powell and drive the 240 miles to Grand Junction, Colorado :eek: That was before I was a pilot, of course :yesnod:

Now I enjoy flying to town even though driving is sometimes faster, door-to-door :redface:

Last edited:
Just found this thread, just wanted to say thank you Ted from another animal person. I do Animal Control for a couple different towns and I try to do a few transports when I can. They are by ground though, which for this recovering truck driver turned cop, it lets me keep on the high way a little bit. I really appreciate what you do thanks again.

Thanks, Jett. I do as much as I can. We're going to have to cut down, though. Money just isn't coming into the non-profit fast enough, and these airplane things burn it fast.

I hear ya Ted, they have cut my budgets for the last three years in a row. Still want me to do the same amount with half the budget. I do the best I can. Most of the shelters here are overflowing with the economy the way it is. I am still getting pet food donations from the local grocery store. Amazing that people will still donate anything these days. I am thankful for that. If you are ever in the Northeast let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you and again thanks.

Back