A quiz for the group

If she pays you, yes... just make sure there's no quid pro quo.
Well, at least not one of monetary value. I don't think the FAA would consider demanding straight A's or being in every night at 10 in return for the lessons to be a quid pro quo of definable value in the context of giving training "for hire.";)

So if I instruct my daughter in my aircraft I have to start doing 100 hr inspections?

How many hours since your last annual? will her training over lap your yearly requirement for an annual.

Well, at least not one of monetary value. I don't think the FAA would consider demanding straight A's or being in every night at 10 in return for the lessons to be a quid pro quo of definable value in the context of giving training "for hire.";)

As it has already been pointed out, you can give instruction, it would be very difficult for the FAA to prove payment here.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Well, the plan is to use a plane that already accumulates 200 hours per year.

In our house, automobile rules and airplane rules are the same: keep up the grades and the sports activities, and all you need to contribute is part of the gas money. Otherwise, get a job to pay for a percentage of the cost of ownership.

So I guess I'll just sign the plane over to her to avoid the 100 hour inspection. That's the most logical step. :rolleyes2:

Well, the plan is to use a plane that already accumulates 200 hours per year.

In our house, automobile rules and airplane rules are the same: keep up the grades and the sports activities, and all you need to contribute is part of the gas money. Otherwise, get a job to pay for a percentage of the cost of ownership.

So I guess I'll just sign the plane over to her to avoid the 100 hour inspection. That's the most logical step. :rolleyes2:

The 100 hour inspection is a good maintenance policy even if it isn't required, particularly if an aircraft is being operated 200 hours per year.

I say no,, simply because if the CFI isn't involved in supplying the aircraft it can come from anywhere.

You could rent my aircraft, and hire Greg to teach you in it. no 100 hour is needed.

The FBO may need 100 hours on their aircraft but in the situation Greg stated the aircraft is not rented to the CFI, it was rented to the student.

Thank you. So many people don't understand that the sole act of renting an aircraft out soes not require a 100 Hr.

As it has already been pointed out, you can give instruction, it would be very difficult for the FAA to prove payment here.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
Crikey, Tom, don't you recognize a joke when you see one? And I even put a ;) on it. :sigh:

Thank you. So many people don't understand that the sole act of renting an aircraft out soes not require a 100 Hr.
Well, as many seem to think, if the aircraft is being held out to hire, by any one it gets a 100 hour. but what they forget that when its hired, there is compensation in some manner.

renting is the exception to the rule. But you'll find that facilities that have aircraft for rent, also provide instruction in them which requires the aircraft have a 100 hour or be less than 100 hours out of an annual

If it is a family aircraft the FAA really doesn't care who is paying and who ain't. You'd really have to twist their tail over a smoking hole to get them to do any thing about the legalities of the flight.

The 100 hour inspection is a good maintenance policy even if it isn't required, particularly if an aircraft is being operated 200 hours per year.

100 hour inspection? not really, but following the servicing in the Cessna 100 series service manual is a good thing which many ignore. Piper has a service schedule also, both I believe are arranged around 25 hours groups of things to be oiled greased or serviced in some manner.

Last edited:

Agree, but often a flight school or club will not permit flight instruction in their aircraft unless they supply the pilot or the pilot is included as an approved instructor on their insurance policy.

100 hour inspection? not really, but following the servicing in the Cessna 100 series service manual is a good thing which many ignore. Piper has a service schedule also, both I believe are arranged around 25 hours groups of things to be oiled greased or serviced in some manner.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Agree, but often a flight school or club will not permit flight instruction in their aircraft unless they supply the pilot or the pilot is included as an approved instructor on their insurance policy.
Let us assume that you are a pilot, and you rent the aircraft from the facility, then pick up your CFI, do the lesson (BFR, IR or what ever) then drop him off and return the aircraft to the facility.

How would they know what you did?

Let us assume that you are a pilot, and you rent the aircraft from the facility, then pick up your CFI, do the lesson (BFR, IR or what ever) then drop him off and return the aircraft to the facility.

You are not likely to be caught. But assuming you damage the aircraft, the insurance company may not pay and regardless, the renting company can sue you for damages claiming breach of contract. Just because you won't get caught doesn't make it a smart thing to do. That same reasoning is used by most criminals.

We had a Student Pilot named Jack at the FBO where I taught who thought that way. He rented a plane, taxied over to the other side of the airport, picked up his pal, and flew elsewhere to have lunch at a popular airport eatery before reversing the process. One of the regulars at the FBO happened to be eating there when Jack landed and got out -- and the regular saw someone else not known to the regular as one of our instructors get out of the plane, too. When the regular next stopped by the FBO, he asked the boss when Jack had gotten his license. "He hasn't yet," Dick told him, "but why do you ask?" Things got real ugly for Jack after that.

In any event, if the question is legality, you've already got your answer. If you're suggesting that it's OK to break these rules (both the FAA's and the FBO's) as long as you aren't likely to get caught, I'll pass on that.

The planes in my flight club all get 100-hr inspections. The instructors are also members but are paid by the student, the club has no knowledge of the amount paid (if any) and is not involved in those transactions. When I asked about the 100-hr I was told "because the planes are used for flight instruction". Was that incorrect?

Not really. We have members of our club who happen to be instructors, as well. The club does not get involved. The member checks out a plane and who he hires for an instructor is his business. No 100 hour inspections.

No, just incomplete. The missing part is that the club provides the instructors even if the trainee pays them directly. Therefore, the planes are being used for flight instruction for hire where the club provides both aircraft and instructor. I suspect the FAA's test for this would be what would happen if you showed up with your own outside instructor. I'll bet the club would nix that, and if the club can control who instructs as well as providing the plane, the 100-hour will be necessary.

In our case, you can use any instructor you want. The club does not get involved. And I've used instructors who were members and instructors who were not. No difference for us.

In our case, you can use any instructor you want. The club does not get involved. And I've used instructors who were members and instructors who were not. No difference for us.
That's unusual, but I've heard of it before. In such a case, where the club is not involved in the process, 100-hours are not required. That said, they're usually still a good idea for a plane flown as much as a club usually flies them.

We had a Student Pilot named Jack at the FBO where I taught who thought that way. He rented a plane, taxied over to the other side of the airport, picked up his pal, and flew elsewhere to have lunch at a popular airport eatery before reversing the process. One of the regulars at the FBO happened to be eating there when Jack landed and got out -- and the regular saw someone else not known to the regular as one of our instructors get out of the plane, too. When the regular next stopped by the FBO, he asked the boss when Jack had gotten his license. "He hasn't yet," Dick told him, "but why do you ask?" Things got real ugly for Jack after that.

In any event, if the question is legality, you've already got your answer. If you're suggesting that it's OK to break these rules (both the FAA's and the FBO's) as long as you aren't likely to get caught, I'll pass on that.

Apparently Jack wasn't a pilot.. bad Jack, was he flying with out a PPL?

No, just incomplete. The missing part is that the club provides the instructors even if the trainee pays them directly. Therefore, the planes are being used for flight instruction for hire where the club provides both aircraft and instructor. I suspect the FAA's test for this would be what would happen if you showed up with your own outside instructor. I'll bet the club would nix that, and if the club can control who instructs as well as providing the plane, the 100-hour will be necessary.

You got it, Ron. I found this in the club's orientation document:

"Any instruction you receive in club airplanes must be from an approved club CFI".

This is reasonable since the club provides insurance for it's members and all it's planes are on leaseback agreements.

Last edited:
You got it, Ron. I found this in the club's orientation document:

"Any instruction you receive in club airplanes must be from an approved club CFI".

This is reasonable since the club provides insurance for it's members and all it's planes are on leaseback agreements.
Speaking as a former officer in two different clubs, I agree.

Back