A question for the European Contingent...

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
So, I'm in Imperia Italy for at least the next month. I have some days off coming up and I want to go visit several cousins, aunts, and uncles scattered from Bavaria to Amsterdam. I have a car to drive, but I'd like to see if I can rent a plane for the trip. Anyone have any advice/experience with rental in the NW of Italy or rest of Côte Azure?

Thanks

Experience, no. Advice - open wallet, insert vacuum cleaner... ;)

I used to rent Archers and Cherokees at the small grass airport in Vercelli. It's not far away from Imperia. I doubt they will give you a plane without a long check out. That is assuming you have a European license... If I were you, I'd find an instructor and fly with him/her to Isola D'Elba (about 1 hr from Imperia) and spend the weekend there. It will be one of the most beautiful flying experiences of your life. My 0.02

I used to rent Archers and Cherokees at the small grass airport in Vercelli. It's not far away from Imperia. I doubt they will give you a plane without a long check out. That is assuming you have a European license... If I were you, I'd find an instructor and fly with him/her to Isola D'Elba (about 1 hr from Imperia) and spend the weekend there. It will be one of the most beautiful flying experiences of your life. My 0.02

I need to make a run up north and visit several sets of relatives in a fairly short period of time, I'd like to rent a plane to save travel time, not go sight seeing. Last time I rented in Germany the guy ran my FAA ticket and medical down into town and came back with my German temp good for a year, PP-VFR (I hold CP-IR), and an hour later I was checked out to take their 172 anywhere I wanted.

I need to make a run up north and visit several sets of relatives in a fairly short period of time, I'd like to rent a plane to save travel time, not go sight seeing. Last time I rented in Germany the guy ran my FAA ticket and medical down into town and came back with my German temp good for a year, PP-VFR (I hold CP-IR), and an hour later I was checked out to take their 172 anywhere I wanted.
Can you call them again and have them fly down and pick you up?

I didn't say it would be cheap :)

There meet be some net-savings improvement if the old place doesn't require a check out, but a new place (local, no dead head needed) does require an extensive checkout.

Sorry, the last time I rented an airplane in Europe it was the 1980s and it was the UK.

FWIW The trains typically are pretty past. But the French started some labor strikes last week. SNCF workers are protesting major cutbacks on their pensions. Work slowdowns started last week as well as sympathy strikes from other trade unions. Airports seemed to be unaffected. Not sure how long it will go one. Labor unrest in France is not anything new.

Sorry, the last time I rented an airplane in Europe it was the 1980s and it was the UK.

FWIW The trains typically are pretty past. But the French started some labor strikes last week. SNCF workers are protesting major cutbacks on their pensions. Work slowdowns started last week as well as sympathy strikes from other trade unions. Airports seemed to be unaffected. Not sure how long it will go one. Labor unrest in France is not anything new.

I got stuck in Dublin for a day on my way to Cannes because the French ATC went on a strike... To protest against a Pan European ATC being contemplated because the French ATC goes on strike so often...:lol::lol::lol:

BTW, trains aren't worth taking anymore from major city to major city, it's cheaper to fly.

I got stuck in Dublin for a day on my way to Cannes because the French ATC went on a strike... To protest against a Pan European ATC being contemplated because the French ATC goes on strike so often...:lol::lol::lol:
That was last month. I clearly stated last week and that there had to be anything related to the latest labor unrest. But if you are worried about the planes and ATC. Going GA is not going to help. ATC is sort of in control of ALL air traffic in Europe. Hard to do a lot of useful VFR XCs there. Maybe you should rent a canal boat? ;-)

Even then I did a canal boat down the Chalon and Rhone last summer. The locks operators could go on strike and you would be hosed! :lol:

BTW, trains aren't worth taking anymore from major city to major city, it's cheaper to fly.
About the same cost or cheaper has been my experience. Keep in mind I am in Europe almost every other month. Frequently traveling between France and Switzerland. The TGV lines of SNCF are really great, plus the Lyria, a Swiss version of TGV, has a non-stop between Paris and Geneva.

Last edited:
I know of two owners you could speak to (one near Frankfurt and the other in Karlshofen, 1 hour from Hamburg), both planes (172 and 182) are N Reg. I suspect the check out would be an hour in each case for you. Don't know of N Reg rentals in Italy.

To my astonishment, earlier this year, I calculated that it was gonna be cheaper to rent a plane and fly (3 of us) than buy train tickets etc.

Hard for me to believe that's the case if you're flying alone.

How about VFR? Or you couldn't get the international VFR flight plan filed because they were on strike?

How about VFR? Or you couldn't get the international VFR flight plan filed because they were on strike?

I was riding an aluminum shipping tube, Aer Lingus didn't give me the option of continuing the flight on my own VFR.:D

Back