A question about total time, and logbooks...

R

rc30rider

I started pilot training in 1998 and accumulated approx. 30 hours, at which time I discontinued training due to some personal matters. Now, 10 years later I have started over, and I have accumulated another 30 hours of training (and solo), and intend to finish my training in the next 4-6 weeks. For logbook purposes, should I "carry forward" my original 30 hours from ten years ago into my new logbook? Is there anything advantageous/disadvantageous to doing that? Any guidance greatly appreciated. THANKS

the time that you got previously still can count towards your total time requirements for whatever certificate or rating that you pursue. of course your instructor will sign you off for a checkride based on proficiency, not hours, but theres nothing wrong with including the previous time.

Very interesting. I had the same question when I started back. I soloed in 1979. I had 20 hours. I was told that if I could not produce my log-book, Which I could not, that I should not count the hours. (Not that it matters, because I was really starting from scratch again.)

If you can document those 30 hours, I would include them for the following reason:

Say you are in a flying club, or want to rent an aircraft that you need 250TT, or 300TT or XYZTT to rent. You will be happy at 220TT that you kept those logged hours.

That 30 hours that you previously logged will count towards that TT, and make "plane X" available to you sooner calendar wise, than if you just deleted those earned hours.

Tim

I started pilot training in 1998 and accumulated approx. 30 hours, at which time I discontinued training due to some personal matters. Now, 10 years later I have started over, and I have accumulated another 30 hours of training (and solo), and intend to finish my training in the next 4-6 weeks. For logbook purposes, should I "carry forward" my original 30 hours from ten years ago into my new logbook? Is there anything advantageous/disadvantageous to doing that? Any guidance greatly appreciated. THANKS

Very interesting. I had the same question when I started back. I soloed in 1979. I had 20 hours. I was told that if I could not produce my log-book, Which I could not, that I should not count the hours.
That's not entirely true, as it's OK to reconstruct them from other records you may have (invoices, billing records, etc), and at the end of the day, you're certifying the accuracy of everything in your log when you sign the page, but the FAA isn't likely to accept for certificate application purposes any training ("dual") time you can't document in some way.

Back