A project.

A bit of an update. I called the seller, he believes he has a 180 that is safe to fly, and could be flown out. But let's get real. with out logs you can't prove compliance with part 39, or part 91.4__. It has not flown since July 09. I asked where the aircraft is kept, and found to be in a hangar at Cashmere Wa. I know The Stewarts who have lived there many years, I talked to them to see if I could determine the condition of the 180. They told me that in fact the logs are gone, it is their and a couple others belief that the owners wife did not know what they were and trashed them. So they are not recoverable.
My best advice for this aircraft is simple.
Comply with Part 39 by using Ad log, by doing a complete inventory and buying their book of ADs that apply.
I questioned the local 180 expert, and found he has a 53 - 180 it came from the factory with a heartzell prop. so the mcCauley is a upgrade done to get rid of all the ADs. You would be required to see the data tag on the prop to get a proper AD list.
Engine, less than 300 hours ago a top was done, using three chrome cylinders, and three re-worked, but the lower end has never been apart. I'm really uneasy about that. this is a 0-470-A, These early 470s had a bucket full of problems.

For both individuals who contacted me on this aircraft I advised they walk. It is a huge project. and they' ll need a healthy budget, and a place to work it. neither did.

A bit of an update. I called the seller, he believes he has a 180 that is safe to fly, and could be flown out. But let's get real. with out logs you can't prove compliance with part 39, or part 91.4__. It has not flown since July 09. I asked where the aircraft is kept, and found to be in a hangar at Cashmere Wa. I know The Stewarts who have lived there many years, I talked to them to see if I could determine the condition of the 180. They told me that in fact the logs are gone, it is their and a couple others belief that the owners wife did not know what they were and trashed them. So they are not recoverable.
My best advice for this aircraft is simple.
Comply with Part 39 by using Ad log, by doing a complete inventory and buying their book of ADs that apply.
I questioned the local 180 expert, and found he has a 53 - 180 it came from the factory with a heartzell prop. so the mcCauley is a upgrade done to get rid of all the ADs. You would be required to see the data tag on the prop to get a proper AD list.
Engine, less than 300 hours ago a top was done, using three chrome cylinders, and three re-worked, but the lower end has never been apart. I'm really uneasy about that. this is a 0-470-A, These early 470s had a bucket full of problems.

For both individuals who contacted me on this aircraft I advised they walk. It is a huge project. and they' ll need a healthy budget, and a place to work it. neither did.

I doubt many would consider that engine more then a core anyways, two bucks and a beer says it ends up with a 520 or better on the front, complete with a new prop.

That sounds reasonable, unless the price was a lot less. You done good.
When you realize that a good wing set is 15k, and a good fuselage is 15k, plus the flight controls sell for as much as 2500 for a stab, and 1k for each aileron and flap. The aircraft is worth the asking price.

And consider that right away it will need an engine & prop up grade 15 to maybe 30k, new av package, GPS and ADSB maybe 20k. then the paint, windows, and interior seem minor.

An occasional poster here wound up selling a 310 with a fairly nice panel for scrap. Went in the low 20s. That's a working IFR GPS, two engines, wings, fuse and everything.

Last edited:
An occasion poster here wound up selling a 310 with a fairly nice panel for scrap. Went in the low 20s. That's a working IFR GPS, two engines, wings, fuse and everything.
most people don't want to take the time to part one out.

An occasion poster here wound up selling a 310 with a fairly nice panel for scrap. Went in the low 20s. That's a working IFR GPS, two engines, wings, fuse and everything.

A 310 is not a skywagon, different demographic and mission, only skywagons I've seen get parted out were DESTROYED, it's kinda the same as a PA18 or DHC2.

One of the Mooneys I called about (also out of annual) was on Trade a Plane. Hadn't flown in two years. Had a bad annual ($15K in squawks) and the owner just wanted to unload it. Smelled to me and I passed, I heard about someone who bit. Nearly fainted off the wing from the fuel vapors in the cockpit. Lots of things in Trade a Plane. Lots of hangar queen Mooneys, by the way. I'll never know why so many Mooneys, but about half that I saw fit the description well, a bunch were out of annual and weren't likely to be airworthy any time soon. Heck, the one I bought only flew ten hours a year for half a decade.

I do hope someone knowledgable buys that thing and makes it into what it should be. Airplanes belong in the sky, not in hangars and storage sheds.

Probably all have fuel leaks and no cash or ambition to fix them.

Probably all have fuel leaks and no cash or ambition to fix them.

All the Mooneys I looked at had leaks (or seeps, not sure which but I could smell the fuel) except the one I bought. That isn't killer in and of itself. Lots of mechanics will slap some sealer in to stop the leaks, often lasts a few years. the more permanent repair is pricey, though.

Looks like this old airplane returned to the skies finally

Back