A Ploy to Make More Money?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Going to get the Multi-IR. The instructor I've been working with suggested, why not just get the Multi-comm? If I'm putting in all the hours for this, why not add a few more?

Well, I don't need it. It would be nice to have that add-on, if only for my own feeling of accomplishment.

So the question is, would it really be "just a few more hours" for an average pilot like me? We're talking a cost of $300+ per hour for plane and instructor, and I'm not exactly a Wall Street exec!

Going to get the Multi-IR. The instructor I've been working with suggested, why not just get the Multi-comm? If I'm putting in all the hours for this, why not add a few more?

Well, I don't need it. It would be nice to have that add-on, if only for my own feeling of accomplishment.

So the question is, would it really be "just a few more hours" for an average pilot like me? We're talking a cost of $300+ per hour for plane and instructor, and I'm not exactly a Wall Street exec!

You're close enough. Just go for it dude.

You're close enough. Just go for it dude.

Forgot to mention that I'll need the written. I was working on that a couple of years ago, and it wasn't really hard, but I'd like to do well on that and the verbal exam.

What is the additional cost?

If you ever want your commercial wrapping it up now will save money(one less checkride)and hassle as you are already in study mode. Besides you will get to claim pro status on the interweb. And your license will say commercial pilot, just like those fancy jet guys. I doubt it is about the money your cfi is thinking the best route forward for a professionally inclined pilot and you are thinking as a hobby pilot, neither one is wrong.

Ben,

I got my commercial multi in about 7 hours including the checkride. And yes, that was with the instrument part of the ride so that I don't have a multi-VFR restriction.

That said, I already had the single-engine commercial. If you do the multi commercial as the first (and it sounds like you would be), you'll need to have the dual and solo cross countries in the multi-engine plane as well. Depending on the economics of renting a complex single for the single-engine commercial in your area, you may come out ahead doing the commercial multi first. But, you'll have to look at the requirements in Part 61 and the local rental rates and do the math for yourself.

I'm glad I got the commercial multi, though, as several months later I ended up in the right place at the right time, and shortly thereafter the right seat of a Hawker 800. If I hadn't had the rating, I'd have been kicking myself for a missed opportunity. Instead, I got a bit over an hour of jet time in the logbook, and lots of new "stuff" learned. :)

One advantage of doing it that way around is that your multi-comm checkride covers the area of 'complex operation'. So if you want to go for the single engine comm down the line, you can take your checkride in a fixed-gear plane. Not that it is much easier, but the logistics and cost may be easier.

Some of the puppy mills go that route. That way they can have a fleet that only consists of 172s and Seminoles. The initial commercial is in the Seminole followed by the single engine commercial in the 172.

Last edited:
Go for the Comm ME IR , when you figure it out it shouldn't add that much more to the cost.

One of the most expensive phrases in aviation: "while you are at it, you should...."

Not to mention for insurances purposes, you will need a fair amount of multi-engine dual to be insurable. Might as well spend those hours getting another rating.

Do you have the single/com?

The multi add on isn't much, but if it is your initial then skip it.

I forgot to mention......when I could have gotten one, the instructor was ex navy, 10,000 hours or more, and was very very calm and fun to fly with and very adept. I say this verses a young CFI with not much time and much less experience. The airplane would have been a shrike commander which I flew twice with him in the right seat and it was easy to land and a lot of fun.

Do you currenly have a commercial cert.? If so, this is an add on and the expense is not that much. If not, you might want to look at the math again.

Last edited:
What do you hold now? If this is your initial ME ride and you already have an IR and a Comm SE, the difference is only in what standards you fly to, and if you can fly the difference in cost will be negligible. If you this is your initial Commercial ride as well, you have to cost of the written (both time and money) to contend with. You don't need a CPL though if you aren't looking at a flying job, so why get one? Also, if you aren't looking at buying/flying a twin, I wouldn't bother with the ME either.

Thanks--all good points. The cross-countries were something I'd forgotten about. Though it would be more money, flying is flying, and cross-countries in the Seneca would be a pleasure.

Ben,

I got my commercial multi in about 7 hours including the checkride. And yes, that was with the instrument part of the ride so that I don't have a multi-VFR restriction.

That said, I already had the single-engine commercial. If you do the multi commercial as the first (and it sounds like you would be), you'll need to have the dual and solo cross countries in the multi-engine plane as well. Depending on the economics of renting a complex single for the single-engine commercial in your area, you may come out ahead doing the commercial multi first. But, you'll have to look at the requirements in Part 61 and the local rental rates and do the math for yourself.

I'm glad I got the commercial multi, though, as several months later I ended up in the right place at the right time, and shortly thereafter the right seat of a Hawker 800. If I hadn't had the rating, I'd have been kicking myself for a missed opportunity. Instead, I got a bit over an hour of jet time in the logbook, and lots of new "stuff" learned. :)

What do you hold now? If this is your initial ME ride and you already have an IR and a Comm SE, the difference is only in what standards you fly to, and if you can fly the difference in cost will be negligible. If you this is your initial Commercial ride as well, you have to cost of the written (both time and money) to contend with. You don't need a CPL though if you aren't looking at a flying job, so why get one? Also, if you aren't looking at buying/flying a twin, I wouldn't bother with the ME either.

The end-goal is renting the twin (and maybe buying, in the future). I go on six or seven long cross-countries a year, and when I do I wish I could take four adults and some bags. In everything available to me, to this point, that's just not possible.

The end-goal is renting the twin (and maybe buying, in the future). I go on six or seven long cross-countries a year, and when I do I wish I could take four adults and some bags. In everything available to me, to this point, that's just not possible.
Are the adults so big that a 'Toga won't do it? I mean you have an assumedly teeny distant kinsperson of mine in your family......

It is a quantum leap in cost because of the absolute need for recurrency.

Last edited:

In order to rent the twin you will likely need 25hrs dual in it if you don't have previous multi time. With that requirement, you can easily do the commercial ride, and since you already have an IR, that will transfer to to the CMEL (or PMEL for that matter) since you'll get tested on the couple of instrument activities during the ride. There really will be no great difference in the training or the ride from the aircraft perspective, however if you go for the commercial, you add the written and oral at the ride which isn't a particularly big deal. The cost differential to get you to the point of being able to rent the plane will be negligible whether you stay PP or go CP.

Are the adults so big that a 'Toga won't do it? I mean you have an assumedly teeny distant kinsperson of mine in your family......

It is a quantum leap in cost because of the absolute need for recurrency.

You're absolutely right (and yes, my wife is just over 100lbs, only!).

The per hour cost is $40 more per hour, and I know that goes up because of recurrency. No doubt about that.

The flight school had a Cherokee 6 for awhile, but it didn't fly enough. The Seneca is their only six-seater.

I can see it is a balance between need and cost!

In order to rent the twin you will likely need 25hrs dual in it if you don't have previous multi time. With that requirement, you can easily do the commercial ride, and since you already have an IR, that will transfer to to the CMEL (or PMEL for that matter) since you'll get tested on the couple of instrument activities during the ride. There really will be no great difference in the training or the ride from the aircraft perspective, however if you go for the commercial, you add the written and oral at the ride which isn't a particularly big deal. The cost differential to get you to the point of being able to rent the plane will be negligible whether you stay PP or go CP.

Thanks, Henning--more good points for me to ponder!

You're absolutely right (and yes, my wife is just over 100lbs, only!).

The per hour cost is $40 more per hour, and I know that goes up because of recurrency. No doubt about that.

The flight school had a Cherokee 6 for awhile, but it didn't fly enough. The Seneca is their only six-seater.

I can see it is a balance between need and cost!
You are a ripe candidate for a partnership.....

Be good at what you do. Hard to do that in a Time and budget limited multi. environment. As my tiger mom used to tell me, "how can it be any fun when you aren't any good?" PRACTICE.

You are a ripe candidate for a partnership.....

Be good at what you do. Hard to do that in a Time and budget limited multi. environment. As my tiger mom used to tell me, "how can it be any fun when you aren't any good?" PRACTICE.

Haha, thanks, I will!

Back