A plane clipped a truck trailer yesterday....

The entire length of that runway is definitely not usable. It's probably really only practical for STOL planes, or daring highly skilled pilots!
Really? Even if you touch down 600 feet down the runway, you still have 1000 feet to stop. Hardly STOL.

Cessna 150 takeoff over a 50 foot obstacle 1,385 ft, landing over 50 foot obstacle 1,075 ft. per wikipedia.

By the book. Know any 150's that give book performance? :) Anyways that isn't much margin even in the best of conditions.

I used to base the Mooney here, the threshold is sufficiently displaced.

capture-jpg.53457

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 58
The entire length of that runway is definitely not usable. It's probably really only practical for STOL planes, or daring highly skilled pilots!

Now you've done it! Cue the hotshots coming to tell us how they could easily get in and out of there with a Cirrus over gross weight on a 100 degree day, landing over a tall load going by, during a hurricane.

Here is a picture of a DC-4, clipping a truck , but still landing at Harvey Field. Runway is 2671ft X 36ft.

dc-4%20harvey_zpsf7jrznwm.jpg

Yeah, my analysis on the redboard yesterday before it wedged:

The road is 240' from the threshold. The threshold is displaced with non-standard markings. The pavement actually begins 100' from the road. 20:1 plane from 240 puts you right where the guy hit the trailer (average semitrailer height is about 13.5'), 20:1 puts you at 12'.
Poor information about the obstacles on the airport master record as well.

My favorite displaced threshold is the 1400 foot displaced threshold on runway 3 at 02C (one of my favorite stops on the way into Oshkosh for fuel and food). Apparently, there's a tree or something off the side of the runway, but the FAA made them displace it just in case.

No chance of clipping a car here - the wires protect the road. Plus you have 1920 feet of grass to play with.
upload_2017-5-11_14-4-50.png

Back