A pair of bucket list items done!

Viewing this video I found myself wondering how long the cable is, and at what altitude is it released.

Viewing this video I found myself wondering how long the cable is, and at what altitude is it released.

Little over 5000ft, 5000lb Nylon line. Release just about 2000ft agl. No help from calm wind

Little over 5000ft, 5000lb Nylon line. Release just about 2000ft agl. No help from calm wind

That sounds about right. Normally even with a slight headwind you should be able to achieve 1/2 the rope length in altitude.

That sounds about right. Normally even with a slight headwind you should be able to achieve 1/2 the rope length in altitude.

Yep. That's what the instructor said. Unfortunately, the day was calmest I've seen in a while. The smoke stacks nearby had a completely vertical exhaust. I don't think I had ever seen that.

There were 2 glider operations going at the field. We were doing the winch and the other one had a tow plane. Those guys stayed up for a long, long time(more than an hour) under the building clouds. We were struggling to maintain the altitude because we could never quite get close to those clouds. Still.. 30 min soaring was pretty cool. Lots of circling :)...

To my surprise, he let me land it(he controlled the flaps, brakes and all other things) on the first go and I was rather surprised how similar to DA40 it was. Nice long float with smooth touchdown. Second landing was a little less smooth :)

I'm curious, where?

I've logged a couple thousand hours in gliders but never a winch launch... Color me envious. Yes, grass is the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is some serious angle of attack.

Very cool. My only glider ride was on the north shore of Oahu. Hearing the wind without a motor was a very unusual experience.

Back