A & P Students

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
Back in 2012 I decided (after the election) to get off the treadmill and do something I'd always wanted to do: get my A&P certificate!
I had worked around (and for) several A&P/IA's for 6 years at DTN doing mostly electrical stuff but helping friends on LOT's on Experimental stuff (as well as working on my own bird).
I have a leg up since I've been around airplanes since the doctor popped me on the ass. Mom and Dad always had a plane or two around while I was growing up.
My goal was to get my A&P and take the Rotax course to provide service for the LSA market here and around here.

Just finished my first semester at Southern University in Shreveport that ran from Jan. 3 to May 10th. Cost was $1673.00+ books @ & $120.00 (I already had AC43.13 and the FAR/AIM). 16 course hours with airframe during the day and engines at night :eek:.
So far the course study has been:Wood Structures, Coverings, Finishing, Sheetmetal, Composite Structures, Welding, Airframe Inspection, Assembly and Rigging, Aircraft Fuel Systems. This was during the day.

The night course I took was the Reciprocating Engine Overhaul/Install which allowed me (and my 3 person team) take an O-320-b3 totally apart , mic everything and put it back together! :goofy:
Summer course study will be: Hydraulic and Pneumatic Systems, Landing Gear Systems and Aircraft Comm & Nav System and Instrments.

I'd forgotten how much I'd enjoyed school...

Any other A&P students wanna' report?

Chris

Someday I'd like to do something like that. No such course around here, plus too busy. But one day things will align I'm sure.

That is awesome Chris!! Sounds like you are really enjoying it.

I think this would be a good license to have. I was just wondering, is there a program for transitioning military structures troops to get there a@p. as a prior structures troop I already have worked Kevlar, carbon fiber, fiberglass, sheet metal repair/fabrication, pretty much anything to do with planes minus engines, electrics, environment, fuels. I've done a little with engines/power plant. Is there a written for airframe? Could I take it without classroom training? Could I just attend training for the power plant portion? I am hoping the OP will have some info on this. Thank you

I think this would be a good license to have. I was just wondering, is there a program for transitioning military structures troops to get there a@p. as a prior structures troop I already have worked Kevlar, carbon fiber, fiberglass, sheet metal repair/fabrication, pretty much anything to do with planes minus engines, electrics, environment, fuels. I've done a little with engines/power plant. Is there a written for airframe? Could I take it without classroom training? Could I just attend training for the power plant portion? I am hoping the OP will have some info on this. Thank you

http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/faq/

-Rich

Your FSDO should have a list of MOS's that the FAA may credit you some of the experience requirements to eventually get your Airframe certificate. You'll have to contact them for what documentation they'll accept. Once you've met their experience/training requirement, the FSDO will authorize you to take the knowledge tests (i.e. written) for General and Airframe and upon passing, the oral and practical tests for Airframe. The General written applies to both Airframe and Powerplant so you only need to pass it once. It used to be if you had one of the qualifying MOS's, the FSDO would authorize former military to take the tests but I've heard they've gotten much stricter on documentation on exactly what duties were performed and for what length of time. YMMV depending on the FSDO. Good luck.

In a perfect world I would let you sit out composite structures if you wished. Not having had any mil experience I don't know how the less than perfect solution really works in your case.

Back