A&P license experience requirements

Wbauman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Wbauman
Sort of a long story. I have military time with a AFSC that is counted toward eligibility. I had 14 months at the time I tried to get my 8610-2 signed. They would not let me count technical school training. That time included I had 18 months. That is what would have been needed to test for powerplant.

So after that day I started working at my local airport. FAA said I needed 4 more months and only had to be calendar months. I am nearing that time now. I just read that if I test for each area individually I need 36 total months. I was under the impression and was told I needed 30 total.

The local FAA rep asked me if I had performed work on my own plane. I currently hold a private ceritficate and can do PM.

I feel as though he was asking because I could count that time toward my 30 months.

My question is does anyone know for sure or has been in my situation?

If I can count my time that I have owned my own plane and performed my own PM I will only need 4 more months.

Surely the FAA rep knows the 36 month deal if I test separately but if he doesn't I don't want to ask and bring it to his attention.

Lets face it, the license only says I have the ability to learn. I have been a mechanic for 25 years so I'm no noob mechanically. His signature only allows me to test. I still have to pass.

Sort of a long story. I have military time with a AFSC that is counted toward eligibility. I had 14 months at the time I tried to get my 8610-2 signed. They would not let me count technical school training. That time included I had 18 months. That is what would have been needed to test for powerplant.

So after that day I started working at my local airport. FAA said I needed 4 more months and only had to be calendar months. I am nearing that time now. I just read that if I test for each area individually I need 36 total months. I was under the impression and was told I needed 30 total.

The local FAA rep asked me if I had performed work on my own plane. I currently hold a private ceritficate and can do PM.

I feel as though he was asking because I could count that time toward my 30 months.

My question is does anyone know for sure or has been in my situation?

If I can count my time that I have owned my own plane and performed my own PM I will only need 4 more months.

Surely the FAA rep knows the 36 month deal if I test separately but if he doesn't I don't want to ask and bring it to his attention.

Lets face it, the license only says I have the ability to learn. I have been a mechanic for 25 years so I'm no noob mechanically. His signature only allows me to test. I still have to pass.

It's really up to the inspector at FSDO who looked at your paper work. they make the call.

Sort of what I thought. He wanted to sign my paper and I could tell he did. I think I will put down my work on my own plane and them combine that with my military time.

All he can do is say no.

Sort of what I thought. He wanted to sign my paper and I could tell he did. I think I will put down my work on my own plane and them combine that with my military time.

All he can do is say no.

There is a EAA 120 hr course offered for Light Sport aircraft which allows you to become self employed as a mechanic on Light Sport aircraft. Even if you do not work on many LSA's in the mean time they allow you to count administrative time, supervision time and such.

You can very likely use this time towards your time requirements to take the A and/or P tests. I suspect after you do that for some months with your military training you can get that paper signed.

I would do the power plant now and then when you have 30 months over all see if you can get the air-frame sign off.

I would do the power plant now and then when you have 30 months over all see if you can get the air-frame sign off.[/QUOTE]

This is what my IA says to do. I'm just trying to get it knocked out sooner.
I will try with my own airplane PM over the last year and the time I have worked at the airport and see what he says. If he says no for both A and P I will still have enough time to test for the P portion.

Thanks guys.

Wichita FSDO didn't seem likely to sign off the time for maintenance of your own aircraft as they could not be convinced that time is FULL Time.

The A&P has to sign off the supervision of full time for xx months. At least if you take that 3 week course your time starts ticking off. Otherwise you will be four months along with nothing to show for it.

It's really up to the inspector at FSDO who looked at your paper work. they make the call.

Hmmmm..

Another reason not to trust the guvmint.......

The rules are in the books and ANY FSDO can act as they please...:mad2::mad::mad2::eek:

The FSDO made it clear that it didn't have to be continuous full time work. I specifically asked.

He may or may not let me count that time and if not I will still meet the requirements to test for the P portion.

Let you guys know how it pans out.

Another guy at a fly in told me to go to a certain state and they would sign me off to test just based on my military time regardless of time.

I agree that the requirements are written but I still believe they can do what they want to.

They also seem overly helpful for x military also. I served our country and I hate for my time to go to waste. I should have done something sooner. When your young and away from home for the first time your future is not high on the list of priorities at 18. Fast forward 25 years and you think of what you should have done.

They also seem overly helpful for x military also. I served our country and I hate for my time to go to waste. I should have done something sooner. When your young and away from home for the first time your future is not high on the list of priorities at 18. Fast forward 25 years and you think of what you should have done.

What exactly did you do in the military?

IIRC somewhere in all of those FAA Orders there was a conversion table for military MOS's.

Jet engine mechanic. Tf34, f100 and f110. Don't have my dd214 in front of me but I think 45450 is the AFSC.

Last edited:
Jet engine mechanic. Tf34, f100 and f110. Don't have my dd214 in front of me but I think 45450 is the AFSC.

Ok, so you are obviously qualified for the P and it's the combined A you are trying to get with the 30 months experience"?

Having your own plane and doing PM can certainly count, work it out with the ASI and go for the 3 writtens.

Yes that is correct. I'm gonna talk with them about it and hopefully they will let me count the time with my own plane and test for all three. If not I will have to work at the airport till next march to have the 30 combined.

Back