A&P gotta' have sumptin to do...

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
As I finish up my A&P courses at the end of this month I was commenting to the House Commander about needing a new project to hone my new-found skills on.
What is required says I, is a simple fun project to replace the J5 I was going to buy in June (deal went North:mad2:). To my eternal surprise she agreed and Green-Lighted the idea!:goofy:
In August I bought a 7ac Champ that had been run into a ditch, The right gear was torn off, stringers and boot cowl were damaged and the thing was in pieces...the C-85-12 needs a rebuild and some other small stuff needs doing but it's just what the doctor ordered!
I've gotten the bottom longerons and the gear cluster(s) done and the fuselage tubing is cleaned and primed. Next it's all new wood and a Polyfiber cover!
I'm shooting for a May or June completion time if all goes well...

Chris (learning about A&Peeing daily)

Attachments

• PIC_0299.JPG
    PIC_0299.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 92
  • PIC_0300.JPG
    PIC_0300.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 71
  • PIC_0313.JPG
    PIC_0313.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 77
Of course she would green light the project, keeps you out of the house and out of trouble!

Unless you want to keep it be very careful how much money you spend on it. C85 parts can get very spendy. Don

PS I'm getting ready to take all my tests also. Will do the General Knowledge test next week. Shooting to do the practical around the first of the year.

As I finish up my A&P courses at the end of this month I was commenting to the House Commander about needing a new project to hone my new-found skills on.
What is required says I, is a simple fun project to replace the J5 I was going to buy in June (deal went North:mad2:). To my eternal surprise she agreed and Green-Lighted the idea!:goofy:
In August I bought a 7ac Champ that had been run into a ditch, The right gear was torn off, stringers and boot cowl were damaged and the thing was in pieces...the C-85-12 needs a rebuild and some other small stuff needs doing but it's just what the doctor ordered!
I've gotten the bottom longerons and the gear cluster(s) done and the fuselage tubing is cleaned and primed. Next it's all new wood and a Polyfiber cover!

Polyfiber = yucky

Airtech much easier, quicker, and fire & chemical proof. and it shines better / longer.

The UA 55 glue from Airtech is far superior to the polly stuff. it is quicker, washes off with acetone as a clean up.

With Airtech, when the fabric is ready for primer, you spray 3 wet coats, 1 horizontal, 1 vertical, and 1 at 45 degrees to each of the first two, let dry over night, sand once, and spray top coat. you are done.

http://www.airtechcoatings.com

And remember do the blanket method, it has no ugly seams showing as bags do.

Last edited:
I'd listen to Tom!

---

Nice project, keep us posted on your progress- good fun. :D

Sounds like a great project Chris.
The 7AC is a great little plane, affordable and lots of fun, I've owned mine since '85 and I'm doing a restoration back to original.

Last edited:
When you go to photobucket to look at the pictures you get these phony alerts telling you that something needs updating. If you click the X to make it go away the web site opens up instead. Makes you feel real safe---not

Damn. That's awesome. I always regarded myself as sort of handy, but think I should turn in my man card.

Back