A new twist on propellers

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
after years of study researchers at Ames, IA have determined the optimum aerofoil configuration for light twin engine aircraft propellers...

I'm going to say the luggage compartment opened mid-flight and it flew out nailed the prop

It appears that the engines weren't making much power when the damage occured and the unsymmetrical nature suggests this wasn't a "normal" gear up landing. It almost looks like the plane tangled with another airplane's propeller but I can't imagine how that would get both props. Perhaps they got tangled in some wires or a fence.

Knowing the caliber of line guy that tends to work there, I'd be someone ran the plane into a building again :)
Teller

Kind of hard to tell, but it looks like the blades in the vertical position on both props are undamaged. My guess is that the plane hit something hard on takeoff (damaging the left prop) and the pilot pulled the power and set it down on the runway gear up, with idle power or idle cut off engines.

-Skip

I vote it was not a gear up. The Step and Antennas are still attached on belly.

The right one gnawed on something tubular. I'll guess either a tug bar or the stem of a helicopter stand. Something was tossed into the left prop or in the case of the heli stand the aircraft swung around and the left prop nibbled on the stand. Guarantee the right prop shaft is bent.

Uneven damage on the props - more damage on one engine than the other...

No apparent damage to the belly...

I'm thinking that it was a low speed taxi that turned into something on the ground like a tow cart. That would account for more damage on one side than the other - the inner engine would possibly be at a lower rpm, so would stop at one hit, while the outer engine, if used to aid the turn, would be faster and spin more before grinding to a halt.

It appears that the engines weren't making much power when the damage occured and the unsymmetrical nature suggests this wasn't a "normal" gear up landing. It almost looks like the plane tangled with another airplane's propeller but I can't imagine how that would get both props. Perhaps they got tangled in some wires or a fence.

excellent analysis Lance. power was near or at idle. gear was locked down the entire time.

hey you guys are good.

the real story is that there is a fence going up at a nearby International airport. pilot, following direction of line boy didnt see the fence poles lying on the ramp, or the jackhammer left on the ramp. right engine punted the jackhammer, and apparently bounched it off a gear door somewhere and into the left engine. ouch.

My guess is there is a fence going up at a nearby International airport. pilot, following direction of line boy didnt see the fence poles lying on the ramp, or the jackhammer left on the ramp. right engine punted the jackhammer, and apparently bounched it off a gear door somewhere and into the left engine.

your guess really was pretty good. just a different type of FOD

Is that one of your planes!? That does NOT look good. I'm guessing if it is one of the planes at AMW, Beaver is not happy to be o/h'ing those engines. :(

yes its one of the 421s from ames. Paul will enjoy the overhauls, hes getting to be quite an expert at GTSIO overhauling. has done lots of them the last few years. beaver will complain about how expensive everything is. the world will keep turning

yes its one of the 421s from ames. Paul will enjoy the overhauls, hes getting to be quite an expert at GTSIO overhauling. has done lots of them the last few years. beaver will complain about how expensive everything is. the world will keep turning

OUCH!! At least Beaver is over by himself and won't be grumpy around poor college kids coming to rent airplanes. ha! It WILL be harder to sneak a peak on their work, though. ;)

I was gonna guess Superman and Wonderwoman were attempting to stop a departure by a crook but I guess the jackhammer scenario is more realistic.

Looks like the left motor was under power, thus the bent forward blades.

When an aircraft gears up, you can tell if it was power on (blades bent forward) or power off (blades bent back).

Interesting pictures........

John

the 421 was back airworthy last friday. has different style props that should be good for a few more knots, 10 according to the line boy this weekend.

Nose gear colapse during taxi with the engines turning at idle speed. Left prop hit the pavement, right prop went in the dirt.

Last edited:
Nose gear colapse during taxi with the engines turning at idle speed. Left prop hit the pavement, right prop went in the dirt.

nope, read above. gear was down and locked entire time.

Back