A new spin on the conveyor belt...

In this case I would say no, provided the thing it's sitting on can spin as fast as the rotors in the opposite direction, assuming it could out power the tail rotor.

AAAAAAARRRGGHHH.....Please make it stop!

Pete

P.S. that is pretty funny though

Brilliant, but lose tail rotor. Does the rotor on a helo spin at 33 1/3 RPM? :D

How fast do helicopter rotors rotate?

If you can get the turntable spinning at 500rpm, and the pilot is about 10' in front of the axis of rotation, then if I didn't botch the math, the pilot is spinning in a circle at 310 knots, and experiencing 259 Gs.
-harry

How fast do helicopter rotors rotate?

If you can get the turntable spinning at 500rpm, and the pilot is about 10' in front of the axis of rotation, then if I didn't botch the math, the pilot is spinning in a circle at 310 knots, and experiencing 259 Gs.
-harry

Gs = Ac / g = ((v^2)/r) / g

Converting it all to meters

Gs = (((pi * 6.069 * 500 / 60)^2) / 3.048) / 9.8 = 856.680 Gs?

On Earth, sure. I was assuming a much larger planet.
-harry

If the planet was larger there would be even more Gs, assuming mass increases at rate less than the square of the radius. ;)

If the planet was larger there would be even more Gs, assuming mass increases at rate less than the square of the radius. ;)
Silly Earthist. Mass doesn't increase when you go to a planet with greater gravity. You have just as much mass in outer space, with no gravity.

But on other planets, the gravitational constant "g" has different values, and so when we refer to a certain number of Gs, you have to ask "which planet's Gs?" It's like saying "how long is a day?", it depends on what planet you're on!
-harry

From the pilot's frame of reference aren't those negative Gs?

Silly Earthist. Mass doesn't increase when you go to a planet with greater gravity. You have just as much mass in outer space, with no gravity.

But on other planets, the gravitational constant "g" has different values, and so when we refer to a certain number of Gs, you have to ask "which planet's Gs?" It's like saying "how long is a day?", it depends on what planet you're on!
-harry

The gravitational constant actually never changes anywhere in the universe as we know it, it is 6.673E-11. However, acceleration due to gravity does have different values which, and is defined as mG / r^2. So for any planet if we assume that, with proportion to earth, the mass (of the planet) has increased less than the square of the radius at the point where g is calculated, then the amount of Gs will be equal to or greater than on Earth.

I think you misunderstood me and thought I meant the mass of the object, which has virtually no effect on gravitational acceleration.

The gravitational constant actually never changes anywhere in the universe as we know it, it is 6.673E-11
Typically written (on Earth, at least) with a capital 'G'...
However, acceleration due to gravity does have different values ...
Typically written with a lower case 'g', and as a measure of acceleration, is what pilots mean when they say "Gs".
So for any planet if we assume that, with proportion to earth, the mass (of the planet) has increased less than the square of the radius at the point where g is calculated...
Since the volume of a sphere varies with the cube of the radius, we'd typically expect a larger planet to have a higher gravitational acceleration 'g', though it's certainly possible for a planet with a slightly larger radius, but lower density, to have a lower mass and lower 'g'.
I think you misunderstood me and thought I meant the mass of the object, which has virtually no effect on gravitational acceleration.
Indeed, I thought you were referring to the mass of the pilot and the radius 'r' that he was tracing around the turntable, atop a giant copy of the 1985 LP "Youthquake" by Dead or Alive, on which appears the song "You Spin Me Round".
-harry

From the pilot's frame of reference aren't those negative Gs?
Until the seat-belt snaps, and he smacks into the windshield, at which time there's a very brief sensation of positive Gs, after which the notion of "front and back" become somewhat abstract for the pilot.
-harry

Until the seat-belt snaps, and he smacks into the windshield, at which time there's a very brief sensation of positive Gs, after which the notion of "front and back" become somewhat abstract for the pilot.
-harry

I'd think there'd be a brief sensation of positive Gs, followed by a lack of sensation ever again.

Back