A "new" sound (B 757)

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
Recently, I was landing in BOS on a 757 - a fun approach, down to about 400' or so - when, just after the reversers deployed, a very loud "WHOOSH", similar to an air compressor dumping the pressure tank all at once, went off.

I was in coach (damn no status airline), sitting to the rear of the wheels / wing (38F, to be exact), and the wx at the time was +RA -FZRA 2C and 22G30

My guess is that it was some part of the anti-skid system, blowing off of the braking surface and/or tire area. The other thought was it was a compressor stall (we ran out a lot of runway on the landing, maybe the PF held the reverse too long?), but I have heard those sound like the engine exploding, nothing like that.

Any clues? It was a fun approach to watch, we hit a strong pocket of shear about 20' above the runway that reminded me of the way I fly ;)

Cheers,

-Andrew

If the plane was Rolls Royce powered it could have been the start of a compressor stall. The start of the stall is a "whooshing" sound, if you don't back off on the power the next sound you will hear is a loud bang. The sound after that will be a bunch of mechanics cursing because they have to change the engine. If it was starting to stall and he pulled the reverse thrust power back that might explain the long roll out. Just my guess.
Ron

If the plane was Rolls Royce powered it could have been the start of a compressor stall. The start of the stall is a "whooshing" sound, if you don't back off on the power the next sound you will hear is a loud bang. The sound after that will be a bunch of mechanics cursing because they have to change the engine. If it was starting to stall and he pulled the reverse thrust power back that might explain the long roll out. Just my guess.
Ron

That's a good potential. Another one may be water/slush sprayed up from the tire against the fuse. Explains the noise and runout as well. Sould have asked the pilot on the way out....

Stupid question...but are you sure he just didnt get on the TR's more than normal and then back off quickly? Most times I am just barely into the power.

Brent
aka: baby jet driver...:)

I was in coach (damn no status airline), sitting to the rear of the wheels / wing (38F, to be exact), and the wx at the time was +RA -FZRA 2C and 22G30

First, call or write the FF program of your new carrier and ask them to comp you status based on your old status. Tell 'em you'll be flying them a lot. Most airlines - AA & Intl carriers are the big exceptions - will comp you some level of status, maybe not top tier, but certainly mid-tier. AA requires a "challenge".

Second, I've heard similar things before, usually it's the config of the thrust reverser or the noise made while the TR transits from not engaged to engaged. It depends on the engine.

Back