a new Pope!!

Re: [NA] a new Pope!!

woodstock said:
does anyone else appreciate the irony of a German heading the Catholic church? :D

Yep.

But I am disappointed that the Blue Devils didn't make it into the Final 4. Guess the Cardinals were too Red.... :) :) :D

Humor, folks!!!

ha ha!

could you email it to me? for some reason I can't save it. I have a few friends who would love this. hee hee

woodstock said:
does anyone else appreciate the irony of a German heading the Catholic church? :D

I noted the part where during the voting, the cardinals' cell phones were purposefully jammed from calls... no honor system there. Sheeesh !

did you see the picture of one priest/bishop/cardinal during the funeral taking pictures with his cell phone camera? what a riot. (I can't tell them by their clothing, although he did have really fancy duds on so I guess he's important)

For many American Catholics, like myself, this is a deeply disturbing choice. I actually talked to a priest today that was practically in tear he was so upset. Cardinal Ratzinger is a deeply divisive figure within the church. A man who dismissed the sexual scandal as a "planned campaign" against the church and advised U.S. bishops on denying communion to politicians. He is a man stuck in the 16th Century. And yes, not only was he in the German army but he was a member of the Nazi youth.

It is a very sad day for me and my church

corjulo said:
For many American Catholics, like myself, this is a deeply disturbing choice. I actually talked to a priest today that was practically in tear he was so upset. Cardinal Ratzinger is a deeply divisive figure within the church. A man who dismissed the sexual scandal as a "planned campaign" against the church and advised U.S. bishops on denying communion to politicians. He is a man stuck in the 16th Century. And yes, not only was he in the German army but he was a member of the Nazi youth.

I agree 100% Dan. Sad indeed.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Yup. This may drive my wife out of the church of her birth. We'll see.

On the other hand, I would expect a relatively short papacy. He is pretty old. Also noting the the last Benedict had one of the shortest papacies.

I actually was more interested in the WSJ article today about the Catholics being very concerned about the rising dominance of Islam vis the dominance of Catholicism.

WRT Nazi Youth:

WBAL Radio and the Associated Press said:
In his memoirs, he wrote of being enrolled in Hitler's Nazi youth movement against his will when he was 14 in 1941, when membership was compulsory. He says he was soon let out because of his studies for the priesthood.

Two years later, he was drafted into a Nazi anti-aircraft unit as a helper, a common fate for teenage boys too young to be soldiers. Enrolled as a soldier at 18, in the last months of the war, he barely finished basic training.

I'm not sure it's fair to use membership that was forced upon him as a judgement against him...

But he does, by the accounts I've seen, to be considerably conservative by Catholic standards.

corjulo said:

I'm not trying to condon the choice of Pope, but If you were a youth of the 30's in Germany you didn't have much choice of what youth groupe you were going to join. or what army you were going to be a member of.

wsuffa said:
On the other hand, I would expect a relatively short papacy. He is pretty old. Also noting the the last Benedict had one of the shortest papacies.

I actually was more interested in the WSJ article today about the Catholics being very concerned about the rising dominance of Islam vis the dominance of Catholicism.

Bill, do you have a copy of that? I'd like to read it but cannot access it online.

I know next to nothing about this guy, so if indeed his past is true, it's frightening. it may undo some of JP's attempts to repair.

woodstock said:
Bill, do you have a copy of that? I'd like to read it but cannot access it online.

I know next to nothing about this guy, so if indeed his past is true, it's frightening. it may undo some of JP's attempts to repair.

Beth, I don't have online access. It's on Page 1 of today's WSJ. If you don't have a copy up there, I'll try and scan & email you a copy later.

bill

Greebo said:
WRT Nazi Youth:

I'm not sure it's fair to use membership that was forced upon him as a judgement against him...

But he does, by the accounts I've seen, to be considerably conservative by Catholic standards.

Many German had no choice, I understand, but I'm not asking them to lead 1 billion Catholics. And it's not just that he is ultraconservative. JP2 was very conservative but I loved him as a Pope. As a cardinal Ratzinger was just plain mean, it's reflected in his writing and the way he ran the church. It's all about doctrine and obedience with him. He longs for a world that doesn't exist anymore. One where the church was the center of all power and daily life. And Ratzinger had no problem interjecting himself into politics with a vengeance, both European and American.

It like this for me. John Paul was like the Grandfather that you loved to visit, the grandfather who always had a warm smile on his face. Ratzinger is the grandfather that took you out back and whipped the day lights out of you if you looked at him the wrong way.

corjulo said:
Many German had no choice, I understand, but I'm not asking them to lead 1 billion Catholics. And it's not just that he is ultraconservative. JP2 was very conservative but I loved him as a Pope. As a cardinal Ratzinger was just plain mean, it's reflected in his writing and the way he ran the church. It's all about doctrine and obedience with him. He longs for a world that doesn't exist anymore. One where the church was the center of all power and daily life. And Ratzinger had no problem interjecting himself into politics with a vengeance, both European and American.

It like this for me. John Paul was like the Grandfather that you loved to visit, the grandfather who always had a warm smile on his face. Ratzinger is the grandfather that took you out back and whipped the day lights out of you if you looked at him the wrong way.

I miss Il Papa already. :(

your analogy makes sense. lovely. well, he is 78 after all.

will this harm the church even more? the progressive societies will presumably keep edging away and the 3rd world may come closer? I don't know....

woodstock said:
I miss Il Papa already. :(

your analogy makes sense. lovely. well, he is 78 after all.

will this harm the church even more? the progressive societies will presumably keep edging away and the 3rd world may come closer? I don't know....

After watching the way these same pope-electing cardinals recently needed a long time to decide what to do about dozens or more child molesting priests, there continues to be no doubt in my mind where NOT to look for any kind of moral leadership.

hey, to the person who gave me a bad rating for my posting above - lighten up. I guess you never heard of Lutherans? it was a joke, dude. I wasn't referring to Nazis. (and by the way - I'm in large part German - Dad's a Lutheran). sheesh

Last edited:
Back