A new fly-in B&B at W91 on Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Bill Watson

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MauleDriver
Bedford Landings just opened up on W91 near Roanoke VA.
Bedford Landings

I visited a couple times during construction and it is beautiful! The owner is a CFI and homebuilder, houses and airplanes. They are great folks and I recommend them highly. I've heard that the airport/FBO is under new management as well.

I'll definitely be making a trip to stay for a few days this spring. I'd always wanted to fish that lake and now I have a place to land and stay.

What's better than a $100 'burger? A place to rest and sleep it off right next to your plane.

Last edited:
Bedford Landings just opened up on W91 near Roanoke VA.
Bedford Landings

I visited a couple times during construction and it is beautiful! The owner is a CFI and homebuilder, houses and airplanes. They are great folks and I recommend them highly. I've heard that the airport/FBO is under new management as well.

I'll definitely be making a trip to stay for a few days this spring. I'd always wanted to fish that lake and now I have a place to land and stay.

What's better than a $100 'burger? A place to rest and sleep it off right next to your plane.

That's awesome, can't wait to check 'em out...

Dropped in on them early on in the construction. Jack's a pietenpol builder.

Last edited:
That's only 4 hours from here...looks like a great place for the next get together!

Wonder whether they provide ground transportation to nearby attractions?

1:10 RV time from here. Looks like a nice, reasonably priced place to stay. Looks like lots of room for camping if allowed.

I have flown into W91 a few times. I remember seeing some construction going on but never thought twice about it being a B&B. I hope to pay them a visit for a weekend sometime next year.

I used to sail on the lake when I lived in Lynchburg. Wasn't a flyer then so wasn't aware of the airport.

The "FBO" is a bit odd. Usually the old guy who owns the place comes out and pumps your fuel, but if not, you can pump it yourself and either leave the money in the (unlocked) office or follow the instructions on how to run your card through the credit card terminal and leave your signed slip in the envelope underneath.

Do they offer bass boat rentals by chance?

The "FBO" is a bit odd. Usually the old guy who owns the place comes out and pumps your fuel, but if not, you can pump it yourself and either leave the money in the (unlocked) office or follow the instructions on how to run your card through the credit card terminal and leave your signed slip in the envelope underneath.

I'm always amazed at how many places there are out there like this. On one PnP flight, with multiple dogs to multiple locations, I delivered dogs to two grass strips. Since it was the weekend, no one was around, but when I called earlier in the week both gave me the pump lock combination, told me to leave a note, and they sent me a bill in the mail.

I guess we're an honest lot.

Only 1:40 from here, I may have to make a spring run up that way.

Just dusting off this old thread to say...you gotta go! This place is wonderful. Jack's an engineer, and this post and beam structure was purpose built to be a B & B. only 4 rooms, but each is a corner unit, and you can hear a pin drop once your door is closed. The bathrooms are large, not converted closets like most Victorian type conversions. Thick carpet, books, original art from around the globe' plush furniture, theater room, spa, decks, large open atrium.... The place is a gem. Even a simulated brook water feature. And the breakfasts, OMG, the wife and I had to go take a nap.

Jack is a CFII, and does SES training as well. He's been flying since before he could drive. Karen is a retired college professor. We admire them greatly for what they've built there. The nicest State Park in VA is a couple of miles away.

This is easily the nicest B&B we've ever stayed in, and we've stayed in a lot of them, and extremely reasonable. 3000 ft runway, tucked into the trees. One approach to 23.
Go.

Back