A new customer

Even when a peace officer with a court order is asking you to return property and you lie and keep things.

Isn't that why we have lawyers.?

The sad thing about this is the time the court takes in resolving the issue. That 172 can't be annulled or any thing with out that log.

IMHO the owner knew he wasn't getting his log back until he paid his bill.

So why not pay and get this over?

Last edited:
Based on a single third party recount, I'd say I have no idea what the objective truth of the situation is here. This situation is way not right.

Is the IA operating an aircraft management company of some kind? I would not hazard advice until I had more to go on. When things don't add up, a lot of times there is a reason.

Isn't that why we have lawyers.?

The sad thing about this is the time the court takes in resolving the issue. That 172 can't be annulled or any thing with out that log.

IMHO the owner knew he wasn't getting his log back until he paid his bill.

So why not pay and get this over?

I thought that ship sailed already and he was ordered to return the records, the slamming and cussing debacle?

If he was already ordered and did not comply I would think they would have the police deal with it not lawyers, as the lawyers and judge already ruled he needed to return the logs right?

Based on a single third party recount, I'd say I have no idea what the objective truth of the situation is here. This situation is way not right.

Is the IA operating an aircraft management company of some kind? I would not hazard advice until I had more to go on. When things don't add up, a lot of times there is a reason.

It is confusing. and senseless.

The A&P-IA is only a small business owner fixing aircraft. he can't carry this kind of owner on credit.

I thought that ship sailed already and he was ordered to return the records, the slamming and cussing debacle?

If he was already ordered and did not comply I would think they would have the police deal with it not lawyers, as the lawyers and judge already ruled he needed to return the logs right?

don't you read ?

There you go again....

First you say the "New Customer" has invoices and cancelled checks for all the work done by this sleezbag A&P/IA and then you throw in the " there is enough blame here to go around"..

Just another guilt trip layed on the owner/pilot... Geez...:mad2::mad2:

It's the pilot's responsibility to verify that the required records are up-to-date. He flew for all those years without having proof that it was in annual, that ADs were complied with, W&B etc., so every one of those flights was in violation.

He has a strong defense in that he was paying for service, thus had cause to assume that it was done, but that's still not PROOF that these things were done.

Besides, he has invoices stating he paid for annuals and maintenance during the period of time not logged in a logbook. It should be plenty obvious that the thing was likely kept in an "airworthy" condition all those years if someone looks at the paperwork at all.

Actually, all that's obvious is that someone cashed checks.

Since doing the paperwork is an important part of maintenance -- especially ANNUALS -- there is not only no proof that the IA did any work, but a pretty good reason to suspect that he did not.

It's the pilot's responsibility to verify that the required records are up-to-date. He flew for all those years without having proof that it was in annual, that ADs were complied with, W&B etc., so every one of those flights was in violation.

He has a strong defense in that he was paying for service, thus had cause to assume that it was done, but that's still not PROOF that these things were done.
I guess you missed the part where the logs were kept up to date, by the mechanic.

Actually, all that's obvious is that someone cashed checks.

Since doing the paperwork is an important part of maintenance -- especially ANNUALS -- there is not only no proof that the IA did any work, but a pretty good reason to suspect that he did not.

It is when you actually see all the logs which I was told the owner had, which I find is not true. The mechanic has the 2003 to 2013 log that has all the entries needed.

So it is OK to leave your logs with your IA as long as you keep paying them?:lol:

That's more common than you may think. The CRS I worked at had a good sized safe full of customers logs.

I had have the same experience..

Back 30 years ago my "TRUSTED" A&P / IA mechanic did all my work, and kept my logs in his shop. I Never lost sleep over it...

The key word here is TRUSTED.......

The other poster who said " loosey goosey businesses attract loosey goosey customers is more accurate them most people think.. I equate it to the computer saying of ... Garbage in = Garbage out...:yes:

That's more common than you may think. The CRS I worked at had a good sized safe full of customers logs.

I don't have a problem with people doing that I was trying to make fun of the posters that suggested the pilot was a total retard for leaving his logbooks in the care of his mechanic.

I had have the same experience..

Back 30 years ago my "TRUSTED" A&P / IA mechanic did all my work, and kept my logs in his shop. I Never lost sleep over it...

The key word here is TRUSTED.......

The other poster who said " loosey goosey businesses attract loosey goosey customers is more accurate them most people think.. I equate it to the computer saying of ... Garbage in = Garbage out...:yes:

In this case all that trust was based upon money. not good.

I have a few customers logs in my cabinet, all up to date and available to the owner upon request.

I prefer however the guys who put the logs in the plane when they drop it off expecting to find them there when I finish.

I wouldn't get myself in the middle of that mess. My advice is do an annual and present the owner with a list of discrepancies. Let the owner and his attorney slug it out with the guy. What happens if the guy makes some accusations toward you? Is the owner going to provide you with his attorney?

I don't know about you but I have enough drama in my life without taking someone else's on.

I wouldn't get myself in the middle of that mess. My advice is do an annual and present the owner with a list of discrepancies. Let the owner and his attorney slug it out with the guy. What happens if the guy makes some accusations toward you? Is the owner going to provide you with his attorney?

I don't know about you but I have enough drama in my life without taking someone else's on.

After I figured out what was going on, I'm not going to do anything until he pays off the debt on the maintenance he has already occurred.

It ain't like I need customers.

Last edited:
Back