A long mx reposition day

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My eyes are barely open they are so burned and tired, departed early this am in a Bonanza to pickup the Citation from the multiple phase checks. It took longer than we planned to debrief the maintenance and repairs they did and finally we took delivery. Spend a long time (an hour) on the preflight because of past problems (once the trim indicator was disconnected showing neutral, and we didn't realize how much up trim was left in... whooooo on take-off)... sure enough within 30 seconds I am looking at a nosegear bolt with a castellated nut less-than-finger-tight, and no sign of a cotter pin or remnants anywhere. "We didn't touch that bolt" (well OK -but I have been preflighting that nosegear for a long time now, seeing the same nut, cotterpin & bolt each time - and right after you change the tire, service it, inspect for defects the bolt is very loose and not safetied??) Then after accepting that 5 other things we asked (in writing) to have done are not done at all, we start up and I decided to cycle the flaps several times because they had removed one flap for skin work and had also disassembled the hydraulic reservoir/accumulator... guess what!? The flaps move to approach and then fail to respond to any other commands (up, landing, ground flaps) - nada. We adbandon the idea of leaving and hand it back, go to lunch in the blazing sun. Anyway a few hours later we return home. Names and locations of mx personnel who try to kill you deleted for now.
While cooling heels at the mx shop, got a call from pal #2.... can you take me up to Lubbock to pickup my Bonanza, its finally ready and I am leaving tomorrow to Idaho, the annual is out on Sunday? (like, can we go now or sooner?) After some logisticizing of other commitments and arranging airborne sustenance, we meet soon after returning in the CJ and depart via Woody, arriving Lubbock as the sun sets. A QT at Chaparral and back home by 10pm... about 1100nm and a 15hour day is all I am good for, time for the shower and shuteye.
:)

I guess what I really liked about military maintenance is one could figuratively, if not literally, kick the young wrench turner's a$$ when crap like this is found on a post-maintence check flight...

gkainz said:
I guess what I really liked about military maintenance is one could figuratively, if not literally, kick the young wrench turner's a$$ when crap like this is found on a post-maintence check flight...
Nah. We simply took the crew chief along. Never a problem. His A___ was on the line.

bbchien said:
Nah. We simply took the crew chief along. Never a problem. His A___ was on the line.
Yeah, but you Orion guys had plenty of extra seats...not too many spare seats in the Hummer! :D

Back