A little winter flying for you southern pilots.....

Proving once again the white man is stupid.

The Indians and even ducks go South in the winter. :D;)

Heck, temps in Anchorage right now may be warmer than in Brenham!

Cool video! I was flying around OSU today too. Finally a day where the low isn't below zero!

Thanks for the video,now I remember ,why I'm a snowbird. Much prefer the sun sandy beaches. Clear blue water. And no pre heating of the plane or pilot.

Heck, temps in Anchorage right now may be warmer than in Brenham!

You made me look.

You guys are 35 to 20, we're at about 45 down to 38.

As long as we have cloud cover, we stay warm. It's clear nights that will freeze your cods off. :yikes:

I was in College Station for a few weeks until yesterday. A few days ago it was 26 when I got up. Holy crap that sure feels colder than 26* in Alaska! :)

I was in College Station for a few weeks until yesterday. A few days ago it was 26 when I got up. Holy crap that sure feels colder than 26* in Alaska! :)

Dang you should have given me a holler.

I'll go out of my way to fly with other wagon pilots who can show me a new trick or two. Anchorage by skywagon is on my bucket list.

This wet cold down here takes some getting used to. Proper clothing is the key. Merino wool sweater with some of the Gore-Tex or North Face lightweight water repellent wind breaker type gear is good. :redface:

At least you got up. It was 6 degrees Saturday morning I couldn't get the plane to start after pre heating all night. Froze my butt off for three hours before throwing in the towel.

Nice video though. Was at KOSU at the end of December, will probably be back there in a couple weeks. Love Trader Joes right across the street!

Thanks for the video,now I remember ,why I'm a snowbird. Much prefer the sun sandy beaches. Clear blue water. And no pre heating of the plane or pilot.

We did not preheat. Plane was in the 45 degree hangar. :) Was 12 or so outside. Brrr..

David

This is what it is like to fly with snow all over the place on a sunny day. You southerners would not know such pleasure. :D

Short cross-country flight from Newark Ohio towards Ohio State Univ airport with my student to do some t 'n' go's.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5QzuqvS887MHhMcWJPeElVNm8/view

David

Been there done that. Moved from Pataskala to Huntington, WV, and am now back home in the Deep South, where it was 11° Thursday morning going to work . . . But is was in the mid40s yesterday when I took her for a spin. No photos, though. It was my reward for polishing the spinner!

At least you got up. It was 6 degrees Saturday morning I couldn't get the plane to start after pre heating all night. Froze my butt off for three hours before throwing in the towel.

Nice video though. Was at KOSU at the end of December, will probably be back there in a couple weeks. Love Trader Joes right across the street!

Sounds like you had some bad luck. I figured a preheat would always allow the plane to start. That sux. Our rentals live in a big community hangar that has some heat so not really an issue.

David

What happened, JD? Did the heat work? Was it warm when you opened the oil door? Colder weather does take more priming, and sometimes throttle pumping while cranking. :dunno:

Better luck next time!

You guys were better than me. I got up, saw the sunny wx, then saw the mercury and decided against. Baked a cake instead.

I leave sunny FL and deal with that nonsense 12 days per month......

You guys were better than me. I got up, saw the sunny wx, then saw the mercury and decided against. Baked a cake instead.

My student has this addiction and needs to fly weekly. :) Works out god for both of us most of the time.

David

I took my sister up for a mountain tour here in Utah on Christmas Eve Day.

_DSC0044_zps3c061c41.jpg

_DSC0065_zpse022317e.jpg

More pictures in Photobucket Story: http://s962.photobucket.com/user/woodchucker17/Winter Flight Dec 24 2014/story

Take-off (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldEBontxWo

Some flight video (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSgce5_RtTk

Last edited:
What happened, JD? Did the heat work? Was it warm when you opened the oil door? Colder weather does take more priming, and sometimes throttle pumping while cranking. :dunno:

Better luck next time!

The group hangar over at HTS doesn't have any heat. Had the line guys run pre heat for a bit but by that time the battery want wanting to crank over anymore. I had left a drop light in the cowling with a blanket over it but they had moved our plane and it was unplugged.

I, done with winter!

It be fun to land upslope on the ski jump landing ramp, spin it at the top and get back out.:D

My first solo was on a day with snow on the ground, was a great day for it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

As a student here in NC, I remember doing a XC solo with 3-4" of snow on the ground but none in the air. It sure made it easy to follow the power line that cut through the woods. On the way to the airport I crested a hill in the car where I could see out for a way and saw how much it stood out, then altered my plan when I got to the airport to use it.

I've got a picture of it somewhere, I think

Speaking as a "Damn Yankee" who now lives in southern Tennessee, bad weather is all relative. Being originally from Indiana, I thought I knew nasty winter weather...until I moved to the mountains in Colorado. Average snowfall reached 210 inches annually and I saw -40° many times. I still see snow down here where I'm at now, but I agree with the post above...which is why I moved south :D

Back