A little windy at KPNT (Pontiac Illinois)

Steve Job

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Job
24G26 45 degrees off runway heading was a little too much for this student pilot and his instructor. No serious injuries, but one person was taken to the hospital to be checked out, and the other occupant refused. I bet I know who refused...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 154
It looks like the plane remained upright until it hit the deeper snow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 109
Glad their not seriously injured. Sometimes we think we are better than we actually are.

Seems a bit much(wind) for a student pilot. One option may be to take off and do some work at altitude, letting the instructor land back at home base.

26knts and 45 degrees is only an 18knt xwind component.
Might be marginal for a C150. But exceeded the instructors capability?

Hate to lose old airplanes that way. Hard to tell if there was snow/ice on the runway that compounded control problems. But it looks dry.

I don't know what the runway conditions were; the photos are from the local newspaper. Based on past history, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't perfectly dry though.

All the more reason when landing with a stiff Xwind, to touch down on the windward side of the runway and let the wind blow you to the center, and then the far side, if the landing gets real "western"..:wink2:;)

All the more reason when landing with a stiff Xwind, to touch down on the windward side of the runway and let the wind blow you to the center, and then the far side, if the landing gets real "western"..:wink2:;)

Excellent advice, that seems so obvious that I wonder why I didn't think of it.

But I didnt.

I have learned so much from this forum. Thanks!

Back