A little ride along video

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
Thought some of you guys who wouldn't have a reason to click on the SoCal get together thread might enjoy this. Yesterday a group of us got together at the Santa Monica airport to talk planes, gyrocopters...and motorcycles. B17Rex rode up with me in my new (to me) Mooney, and I got a little GoPro video along the way. It was a beautiful day for flying, and I think the cameras got an even better view than we did in the cabin!

http://youtu.be/dgsvsQ-xkzI

That is awesome.
How did you mount the cameras externally?

Was definitely a fun flight, and damn those Mooneys are fun little planes! Got me thinking about buying one now!!!!

-Brian (The proper spelling, since 6PC is in this thread now :-D )

Nice video! It's been years since I have been into SMO. Big GA battle in the past, what are landing fees there now?

What is nearby for lunch? Is the Pier within walking distance?
Last time I was there I was visiting the Bearcut factory on the "lower level" and there was a nice restaurant across the street.

Cool video! Now you've got me wondering if my C has a similar hitch when the gear goes down.

Welcome to the ownership club!

-Brian (The proper spelling, since 6PC is in this thread now :-D )

i is a vowel limited to his party w his 4 other friends A, E, O, U
Y is the only letter that gets invited to both parties.

alphabets-dancing-608851.gif

I mounted the GoPros using a bolt on bracket that I put in place of the tie down ring. Easy on, easy off, and very secure.

There is a restaurant right next to the transient parking at SMO, but we ate at the place just across the street. I think the pier is a little out of walking distance.

As for the gear, I haven't quite mastered the art of putting it down smoothly yet obviously. Pretty sure the little swing there was from me repositioning my hand on the johnson bar. Gotta love the manual gear!

i is a vowel limited to his party w his 4 other friends A, E, O, U
Y is the only letter that gets invited to both parties.

alphabets-dancing-608851.gif

HAHAHAHA oh ****. Good thing I waited to read that when I wasn't eating! Freaking made me serious laugh out loud.

You need to come visit SD sometime! Since you like craft beer, this is craft beer heaven out here. 60 something breweries in SD county now.

-Brian

Such a great thing it is.. Thumbs up .. Stay same

Great video! I have always wondered what flying that area would be like. Never got to do it when I was in Calif. Maybe some day.

David

Nice video! I made the flight down the LAX SFR Cor. last week over to Catalina..best flight yet!

Great video! I have always wondered what flying that area would be like. Never got to do it when I was in Calif. Maybe some day.

David

Having done most all of my flying here it seems normal to me, but after flying my new plane home from Texas last week I can definitely say we have MUCH busier airspace. I started getting nervous when I had flown over 100 miles on flight following without a handoff. Between Carlsbad and Santa Monica you get handed off at least 5 times, and it's only like 60 miles. You get really good with the radios!

Neat video! It served two purposes for me; it entertained me for a few minutes and made me get off my arse and order a camera mount for my video camera.

Be careful, it's addictive. I just bought a 2nd go-pro and last night I ordered an audio recorder so that I can connect it to the intercom and record the ATC communication as well. I like a little music rather than just the drone of the engine to make it less boring, but my favorite videos have the communications as well.

Last edited:
Back