A little help from the audiophiles...

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Short story is I found that I have some Reward points on a CC that I was unaware of. Looking through the redemption catalogue. I am trying to decide between a set of Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth wireless headset..or buy the Sony extra bass Bluetooth wireless headset with enough left over to get an ipod 7th gen mp3 player. The question are the Bose so much better than the Sony that I should give up on the ipod. At $150 I would not likely ever buy the ipod. I have a history of cheaping out and then regretting it, but if there is no real difference to my non-audiophile ears, a free ipod would be nice.

I have no first-hand experience with either product, but in my opinion Sony headphones and speakers seem to vary in quality depending on the model. Bose equipment tends to uniformly sound better to me, but the "real" audiophiles will tell you that Bose is junk and what you think sounds good is really trash.

Bose stuff tends to be bass heavy, but otherwise clean. Some of their equipment is more balanced, though. They do charge a premium for the privilege of owning their gear, but in my experience support it fairly well.

JKG

Audiophiles wouldn't recommend either of those, especially since they are bluetoothed.

Without being able to hear them side by side, I'd get the Bose, but both have good reviews.

The word "audiophile" doesn't belong in the same sentence as "iPod" or "Bluetooth headset". Mutually exclusive concepts due to the required signal compression.

Get the Sony and the iPod and enjoy the toys. The Bose is a waste of money in this case, there is only so much you can do with iPod and BT compression.

I work in the Pro Audio live event industry and in our world BOSE stands for either "Buy Other Sound Equipment" or "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" and many of the top engineers are using Sony headsets if that tells you anything.

But yeah...introduce Bluetooth and audio quality really is taken outta the equation...you can only compress and uncompress so much.

My recommendation is go find a Best Buy or audio Jackwaggon store and try each on. Sound quality will probably be the same, but comfort will be more important. That can vary drastically from person to person.

Audiophiles wouldn't recommend either of those, especially since they are bluetoothed.

Without being able to hear them side by side, I'd get the Bose, but both have good reviews.

Audiophiles won't recommend either of those brands at any price level, regardless of Bluetooth connections, lol. I agree that I'd probably choose the Bose due to more uniform performance across the brand. Sony certainly doesn't have the brand name it used to enjoy. Bose is still very mediocre considering the high cost, again, regardless of which product in their lineup is being considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audiophiles won't recommend either of those brands at any price level

Consumer grade "Audiophiles" maybe but Sony is very well respected and used in the Pro Audio Enginner world...both studio and live audio.

...but not talikn about their lower end crap. They make plenty of entry level cans that are just as bad as the rest of them.

The word "audiophile" doesn't belong in the same sentence as "iPod" or "Bluetooth headset". Mutually exclusive concepts due to the required signal compression.

Get the Sony and the iPod and enjoy the toys. The Bose is a waste of money in this case, there is only so much you can do with iPod and BT compression.

This.

Consumer grade "Audiophiles" maybe but Sony is very well respected and used in the Pro Audio Enginner world...both studio and live audio.

...but not talikn about their lower end crap. They make plenty of entry level cans that are just as bad as the rest of them.

I love the Sony studio headsets of all sorts. I have at least two pair floating around here right now and have had four pair banging around in the past.

Hard wired. None of that Bluetooth compressed garbage.

I'm annoyed they're removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7.

Bose messes with the spectrum too much for my tastes. I want to hear what the studio engineer intended when they recorded something, not some bass-pushed heavy mid-range goofiness to make compressed audio sources and pop music sound "punchier", which Bose's standard MO.

If you run across a pair of these, snap them up. If you have $6,000+ to blow on headphones anyway. And frankly, they're probably worth it.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-mdr-r10-the-worlds-best-headphone/

Back