A learning experience!

BalkanPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BalkanPilot
Hello,

So this morning I get to the airport as I have planned my last xc-solo flight to complete my solo endorsement time for the ppl rating. The flight plan I have made will take me from KCRG to KBQK and off to KSAV, after landing in KSAV I will return for a one hour flight back to Jacksonville. The trip in to the Brunswick area was a little different this time, one of the local ATP PA-44 aircraft went down just a few days ago, so as I approached and took a look over the area I sent a few prayer for the two guys who lost their lives, and tried to imagine what they must have been thinking in the last moments before their aircraft broke in mid air and impacted the marsh waters below. After landing in Brunswick I took a few moments to get my paperwork ready and off I was for a 60 mile stretch to Savannah Georgia. Few weeks ago I had planed this exact leg but on approach in to the Sav area, I was told to remain clear of their airspace as they had an emergency inbound, I complied turned around and flew back to Jacksonville. After landing in Savannah this time there was a little confusion on the runway as to which taxiway to take because the one I intended to use was being blocked by a nice new Gulf stream jet, and so I had to wiggle my way down until I figured out where to go with the help of the ATC and ground control. Would it be a coincidence this time or just the aiport which had this on regular occasion, I would not know!? Here comes another emergency, a U.S. military C-130 Hercules seemed to have been losing some sort of fluid as I was told to hold and be patient while they inspected the runways after he landed. This is where the fun beings ! After the runways were clear a Gulf stream jet was cleared for takeoff on RWY 28, as I was cleared for departure on RWY 19, and cautioned for wake turbulence, so far I have only read on wake turbulence and not had the issue of this problem in Jacksonville, and I wish I had done a little more research but we live and learn right?! About 800 feet after taking off, out of nowhere a surge of air slams my aircraft from the right hand side and banks my 172 to the left, the degree of bank exceeded 45 degrees, and was so strong that putting the airplane back level was a challenge. With no previous training and not really talking about it ever, I decided to reduce my angel of attack and slightly reduce my rpm setting because I felt as though the aircraft was going to be more controllable at this power setting. So I would love to know, did I do the right thing, obviously I am alive and that is all good, but was there anything else I could have done except for waiting longer on the tarmac before taking off?:confused::confused:

Thank You
:)

Last edited:
You can avoid wake turbulence by flying over the area the jet just landed in. The vortices sink as a general rule.

You did just fine. Next time you will know to wait a little longer or do a short field take of to avoid the same path as the heavies.

I was flying an ultralight under the flight path of heavies about 7 miles from the runway. The plane had passed above the area I went to. Must have been 5-10 mins and I was nearly 90 degrees in a half second. :eek:

Last edited:
Wait longer. Maybe a short field takeoff. Basically, you need to be above the departing aircraft's path, or wait minutes for it to dissipate.

Usually on the SAME runway, you can do a normal takeoff (jets take a much longer roll) and turn crosswind early (they also climb faster). But that doesn't work with a cross runway.

Always make note of where the preceding aircraft rotated or touched down. You want to be well above that. In a crosswind with parallel runways, be careful on the downwind runway, as the wake can drift.

I've encountered wind gusts that feel a whole lot like wake turbulence, though generally terrain related. It can't be wake turbulence if there are no other aircraft around for miles.

Also, when you are correcting for regular turbulence or wake turbulence, which you should be able to avoid in future hopefully, make sure you use the rudder as well as ailerons to level the plane. Step on the sky side rudder, aka top rudder

Also, when you are correcting for regular turbulence or wake turbulence, which you should be able to avoid in future hopefully, make sure you use the rudder as well as ailerons to level the plane. Step on the sky side rudder, aka top rudder

So in this instance the wake was coming from the right side of the aircraft, pushing me to the left, I should step on the right rudder?

This makes me think about one incident, the AA crash in Queens where the pilots used excessive rudder and it simply snapped off.
Thanks

No, I'm not referring to the position of any other aircraft. What I meant is, if as you fly along a gust or wind shear or turbulence kicks a wing up - banks you over, then along with aileron make sure you use the high side rudder to help level the wings.

Back