A Katmai for the burbs

When I saw the thread title I thought you were talking about the 1989 movie with Tom Hanks.

Always liked those aircraft,now if I could only find the money.

I've seen the Katmai but for those of us who don't fly in the bush, this seems to offer all the short field capabilities as well as boosting cruise without having those big ol' tires hanging out there.

I've seen the Katmai but for those of us who don't fly in the bush, this seems to offer all the short field capabilities as well as boosting cruise without having those big ol' tires hanging out there.

Which makes me wonder what they could do to an RG. :D

I've flown in one of the Peterson 260 conversions. Very smooth...

I found it fascinating to climb 600FPM at a lower deck angle than the 182P I'm used to. And landing at slower speeds was also fun to experience.

For giggles, I sent a query to Van Bortel for a 182S they had in the trade in hangar.

Now that you reminded me about the Kanai, I'd think I'd spend the money Van Bortel wanted on the Kanai. *if* I had the money to be spending on aircraft.

I've got a well maintained Peterson 260SE for sale on Controller right now. Ask me any questions that you want about flying these planes, they really are great.

I bought mine as a 50 hour private pilot part way through my instrument rating and have owned it for three years ~350 hours.

I've got a well maintained Peterson 260SE for sale on Controller right now. Ask me any questions that you want about flying these planes, they really are great.

I bought mine as a 50 hour private pilot part way through my instrument rating and have owned it for three years ~350 hours.

What structure carries the load created by the aerodynamic forces on the canards?

Great Planes Interiors in Oklahoma at KCLK does the interior for these. The two times I've been out there they've had one in the hangar... I was confused about them at first, but after reading up on them it seems like a fantastic STOL with some solid XC performance. The Canard on the front is a bit bizarre the first time you see it though.

What structure carries the load created by the aerodynamic forces on the canards?

Here is a photo of at Katmai with the cowl removed.

There appears to be a structural member located under the engine.

Attachments

• King-Katmai-under-construction.jpg
    King-Katmai-under-construction.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 46
  • p19ve7s9mgrocopf1n9csku1tpaa.jpg
    p19ve7s9mgrocopf1n9csku1tpaa.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I wonder if Tod could build a Katmai 185? That would be bad to the bone.

A Katmai turbo stationair would be awesome.

Ish. A 185 already is bad to the bone. Which begs the question why anyone would spend the money on a Katmai.

Here is a photo of at Katmai with the cowl removed.

There appears to be a structural member located under the engine.

Thanks for the pics.

That is interesting. Those engine/canard mounts look beefy.

For you guys who're interested in the canard mod look up Wren STOL. That's how it all started. They've been around for 50 years.

http://wren460.com/

Last edited:
Back