A just wondering Secret Service question

I like Biden as a VP. Pure comedy gold. He is a reminder for average people that these people are not special.

Biden fulfills the traditional role of the VP...a warning to potential assassins, that if successful, this is who takes over.

I once heard Dan Quayle referred to as "A walking, talking life insurance policy"

Oh no, political content! Better move this into the Spin Zone right away, before someone gets their panties in a wad!

Oh no, political content! Better move this into the Spin Zone right away, before someone gets their panties in a wad!

Hey, I bashed VPs from both parties...I carefully selected my second example for precisely that reason!

Biden fulfills the traditional role of the VP...a warning to potential assassins, that if successful, this is who takes over.

I once heard Dan Quayle referred to as "A walking, talking life insurance policy"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think you can attribute that quote to Murphy Brown...

To answer the OP's question, the President CAN overrule any decision by the Secret Service, but as a practical matter the President follows their lead as they have the experience and institutional memory on what works and what does not.

If the USSS had their way, the President would never leave the White House, would never work a rope line, and certainly would never walk any part of the inaugural parade. I can assure you they were not happy with the surprise Iraq trip.

If the President were to somehow decide that he was going flying in a 172, the Secret Service could not stop him.
What makes the President comply with the USSS is his knowledge of the very real and serious threats to his life (which we never hear about), and the President's rational desire to remain alive.

I remember when G-dub took AF1 into Iraq when things were still pretty hot. Wonder what the SS had to say about that visit?

I bet they had plenty to say and were actively involved in planning and implementation... It allegedly came close to being scrubbed when crossing traffic called it out on the ATC frequency...

If he did fly his own plane his call sign would be Airforce One, even if he rented. No mater what aircraft, once the president is onboard it becomes Airforce One. Bush landed on a carrier.

When he was on the S3 he was Navy One... When the Army and Marines used to share helo duties, it was Army One and Marine One... Now its just Marine One...

Air Force One is only used for USAF assets.

So far it hasn't come to that, and I don't think it ever will. The President is an office/function as well as a human being, and it would be an incredible reach for a President to say "I don't give a **** about the laws, this is what I want" rather than negotiating.

Unless you have a President who says, "I'm saying..when the President does it, it is not illegal!"

Last edited:
Back