A hypothetical for ATC (or anyone knowledgeable)

Review the taxi diagram. It usually has areas of the field marked which the controllers will know. "East hangars" or "south ramp" etc.
Have the taxi diagram out and briefed before calling ground and before arrival.

Also, our local club hosted a Wings session with the on-field ATC team. Was a great opportunity to hear their concerns, common errors (from both parties) and expectations. I would strongly encourage you to get up in the tower and talk with the crew - they want the same things as us - safety and efficiency, and want to work with us. If you don't know how to reach them, call the field manager (chart supplement).

I recently got my plane out of the hanger, started and called ground "?????? Ground, N12345" and was given complete RWY and taxi instructions with no questions. It helps that it's a somewhat lazy airport and the controllers know and have info on my plane and where the hanger is. I also know from visiting the tower that they have info strips for each local plane they have regular contact with. It did catch me a little off guard though, because they usually respond to the call up and wait for my request.
It just wastes time the way you do it. Try, "Ground, N1234, at the t hangars with Juliet ready to taxi southbound"

Back