A happy-ending emergency

Nice to hear of a pilot continuing to fly the airplane when something happens to the big fan.

C-140 engine failure... by-the-book procedure; perfect landing in an alfalfa field; no damage or injuries; friendly farmers; pilot's young daughter does a better job explaining what happened (see video) than most eyewitnesses, reporters, or media-hired "experts"... :)

http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2011/09/18/news/srv0000013946868.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Hey there's nothing wrong with landing in Alfalfa Fields. In fact they are my favorite off airport destination...in my glider :D

A friend of mine bought a Flight Design CT.
When getting insurance quotes they wanted something like 25 hours of dual in it. When he told them he had over 2000hrs of glider time they dropped it to a checkout with a CFI. He asked what the difference was, they told him that statistically glider pilots don't stop flying the airplane, when something goes wrong. I don't recall if this was before or after Sully put the A320 in the river.

This is also the same friend that on his check ride the examiner simulated a power failure. The examiner's critic of the maneuver was that me friend suddenly relaxed when the engine quit. He also commented that he could tell he was fully prepared to land in the field he had picked. It was then my friend pointed out that if you looked in the field you could still see the wheel track where he had landed his glider there the week before.:)

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

This is also the same friend that on his check ride the examiner simulated a power failure. The examiner's critic of the maneuver was that me friend suddenly relaxed when the engine quit. He also commented that he could tell he was fully prepared to land in the field he had picked. It was then my friend pointed out that if you looked in the field you could still see the wheel track where he had landed his glider there the week before.:)

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

The DPE pulled the power on me during my ASEL Commercial check ride. I dutifully set up best glide in the Arrow and we were right over a dry lake. At about 1000ft AGL I found a thermal and started circling. The VVI was showing 100fpm up. I pointed to the VVI and commented that if this keeps up we might get high enough for a straight in to the airport about 3nm away, but we would have to go around the end of the ridge.

He terminated the maneuver. :dunno: and mumbled something about glider pilots.

The DPE pulled the power on me during my ASEL Commercial check ride. I dutifully set up best glide in the Arrow and we were right over a dry lake. At about 1000ft AGL I found a thermal and started circling. The VVI was showing 100fpm up. I pointed to the VVI and commented that if this keeps up we might get high enough for a straight in to the airport about 3nm away, but we would have to go around the end of the ridge.

He terminated the maneuver. :dunno: and mumbled something about glider pilots.

:rofl: :thumbsup:

Small world, that link is from my local paper! Glad everything turned out alright and I hope Mom doesn't ban the daughter from flying with Dad! :rolleyes:

They got that story wrong.

It was clearly an airplane crash after the engine stalled.

Back