A Grumman question.

Speedy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Speedy
Have a friend that is thinking of selling his Grumman AA5 Traveler (74). Has the 150 hp Lycoming 0320-E2G. I asked him why he was thinking of selling. He said he needed more that 115 MPH at cruise.

I thought they cruised at around 120 K = 138 MPH. Miaght he be draging something ? I've only seen his plane once while on a short visit.

A 72-74 Traveler should be a good bit faster than 100 KTAS in cruise, even without wheel pants. Typical cruise for an AA5 is about 110-115 KTAS.

Wouldn't engine condition, propeller type and conditions, modifications done on plane, and engine weight among other things affect the engine speed. And if so could a perfect storm of the wrong factors cause a 10 kt or more loss in cruise speed. I would ask the mechanic familiar with the care of the plane what he thinks is going on.

Wouldn't engine condition, propeller type and conditions, modifications done on plane, and engine weight among other things affect the engine speed. And if so could a perfect storm of the wrong factors cause a 10 kt or more loss in cruise speed. I would ask the mechanic familiar with the care of the plane what he thinks is going on.

Check rigging. Poor rig can cost lots of knots in a hurry.

Have a friend that is thinking of selling his Grumman AA5 Traveler (74). Has the 150 hp Lycoming 0320-E2G. I asked him why he was thinking of selling. He said he needed more that 115 MPH at cruise.

I thought they cruised at around 120 K = 138 MPH. Miaght he be draging something ? I've only seen his plane once while on a short visit.

I suppose I could see 100 knots with a tired engine, climb prop, out of rig, and no wheel/gear fairings installed. Aslso, wonder how accurate the tach is. If he is setting power based on the tach reading, he may not be cruising at the power setting he thinks he is.

BTW Ron, at OSH this year you remarked that you weren't getting the performance you expected based on the tach reading on my Tiger when you did the Cockpit Cool flight with Alice. The AYA tach check showed it was reading 100 RPM too fast. On the way home, about an hour from Seattle it started indicating 3500 RPM with no change in engine sound. Ken B and I put in a new tach and all is fine.

I had the 75 with the better cowl and small tail and my speed was never what the book claimed. Also, the speed specs were quoted at some real high RPM that was beyond any 75% I could think of(despite reduced MP).

So, I checked my fairings, made sure it was rigged right(flew straight and hands off), clean inside, baffles good and tach basically correct. It was just not making what I thought the book claimed of 128 kts. I could get about 115 kts or so but that was it, no matter what I did.

I think the factory cooked the books a bit on the AA5 series, and they are actually pretty much in line with the same power 172. While they might be a bit more slippery than the Cessna, the squared off boxy fuselage and rather fat wing give it a rather limited top end.

100kts does sound low, for a 74 model, but if the engine is tired, and the prop has been filed on a lot, and the ailerons may be drooping a bit, I guess it's possible. The only thing I found on my plane was the fairings were all deformed a bit. The gear leg fairings and the wing tip fairings had waves in them that made them stand proud of the rest of the structure a bit, and that had to knock off some speed. The cost to replace all those was up there so I just cleaned them and lived with it. Once I had a chance to swap it for a Bo, I grabbed it and never looked back. I can do the same speed and fuel burn on the Bo, and carry more, or turn up the wick and do about 180MPH if I want to buy a lot of gas.

The AA5 is a great flyer, but it's not the speed demon I was hoping for on 150HP.

I got just over 115 KTAS when I had my 74 AA-5. I had wheel pants for the mains only. I sold mine for not only more speed but range. With 37 gals total fuel, you're not going very far. Still, I miss that plane. Great visibility, plenty of room, and light controls.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Now Im wondering if the speed indicator is in knots of MPH ? Next time I see him I will ask.

btw- Engine is not tired. It has 579 hrs since NEW in 2000. Not a rebuilt but new.

Thanks everyone. Now Im wondering if the speed indicator is in knots of MPH ?
A 74 Grumman should have mph primary (outer) and knots inner. But as stated above, if he's only getting 100 knots TAS at what is indicated as cruise power, there's something wrong with his plane, not Travelers in general, and if he isolates and fixes the problem, he should be seeing 115 knots TAS or better, depending on altitude, at 75% cruise power.

Also, make sure he's talking true, not indicated -- 100 knots indicated would be normal for cruise at 7000-8000 feet or so, giving about 115 knots true.

Back