A great Saturday!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I spent the entire am at the local R/C club, watching them fly and crash a bit!,;it was very coo-el. It is at one of the local airports and at one point a Taylorcraft departed for a local sight-see and we all remarked how it was going only a third the speed of the R/C planes! I was impressed with the camaraderie and fun these R/C guys have. I have not been in it for years and it was also interesting to see how the technology has changed and become more affordable... we used to scratch build or kit build (many many hours) but the new arf (almost ready to fly) kits are irresistibly cheap now. No more weeks on a pin board with ca glue.

This evening when the bumps settled down I had the distinct pleasure of taking a new friend around for a local flight. He is ex army rotorcraft pilot with about 1000 hours and wants to get his fixed wing. Took me a while to figure out what he does and doesn't know as I was explaining everything to him. He flew very well and I doubt he will have any trouble with the add-on (he transferred his mil helo lic to a comm/ifr roto license). I talked him through several patterns down to the threshold, I did the T&Gs. I told him this might be a mistake because now you will have to unlearn all the bad habits a non-cfi might ingrain! Anyway we had some great fun in the setting sun. (BTW, what is the term for an unintended rhyme?)

Anyone know of a good book for a pilot making such a transition? He wants to start from ground zero but will likely skim the meteorology/navigation etc... just needs to learn about fixed wing aircraft.

Back