A great GA trip

James_Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Eggman
I brought the clan back from Phoenix yesterday after a great holiday visit with my parents. We departed KDVT and made it non-stop back to KSPW in five hours. The generous tailwinds certainly helped. This was an interesting trip to plan - mountains, departure procedures into the class bravo, icing conditions, high winds, and a plane packed to the gills with people and stuff. Planned 13,000 for the trip to catch the winds, but had to push up to 15,000 to stay out of IMC with forecast light/moderate icing conditions. The four year old didn't much care for the cannula. :lol:

I was running the plane about 20* ROP for most of the cruise portion and was seeing 180 kts on 22.5 GPH at 15,000 which was much better than the book #'s. The extreme baro of 30.86 and the very cold temps certainly helped. Touched 240 kts across the ground at one point in level flight.:goofy::thumbsup:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N317U

1,170 statue miles in less than five hours with 950 lbs in the cabin(counting the nose and wing lockers) on $600 in fuel? What a great day!!!

Attachments

• C310 Mountains 1.jpg
    C310 Mountains 1.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 69
  • C310 mountains 2.jpg
    C310 mountains 2.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Ipad Foreflight SV.png
    Ipad Foreflight SV.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 69
  • C310 mountains 3.jpg
    C310 mountains 3.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 41
Wow. Great trip! That's what you call getting up and stretching its legs!

Curious, how much of the O2 did you use with all those people on a 5 hr trip? I assume you left with full O2 tanks. Great use of the plane.

Curious, how much of the O2 did you use with all those people on a 5 hr trip? I assume you left with full O2 tanks. Great use of the plane.

Have a four place mountain high set up and rolled my own "expansion" kit to tide over the other three just in case. I was on a cannula the entire trip, but the others were on for about 90 minutes when we were above 13k. We used about 1/3 of a 647 liter tank.

The wife and three oldest kids could keep their sat in the mid to high 80's at 15k but they are all athletes. The four and six year old didn't tolerate it well at all and without supplemental were falling way down. My O2 sat with the mountain high system stays in the 93-95 range.

Eggman

Back