A great flight KEZF and the ADIZ

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I took a great trip this weekend that I thought I'd recount. The first born son of my best friend since 2nd grade became a Bar Mitzvah this weekend in Fredericksburg VA. This was something I really really wanted to attend since we have been close for the past 38 years. Well a 5 hour drive from Philly through DC the south so this seemed to be the perfect mission for GA.

I figured that I'd go VFR and try my hand at getting through the ADIZ since I just took the FAA's course on the ADIZ. In planning the flight I looked like I'd have a bit of a head wind on the way down. I filed my VFR flight plan on RTFP and called in my ADIZ flight plan to FSS. ( funny thing when I asked for a briefer the machine asked me what state I wanted and I told them PA so they gave me some guy in Texas. I must say he was very helpful.

I loaded the bags in the back, fueled 65W up to the tabs buckeled the wife in and departed 29 at UKT exactly at 3:00PM. It was cool so she climbed quickly to 4500 and we headed SW on course to MXE, ESN, D->KEZF. I couldn't raise FSS for the life of me to open up the flight plan but picked up Flight Following quickly from Philly Approach.

Friday one of those days that was created to fly. I'm a map and chart geek and it was fun to watch the geography unfold before me. I flew south down through Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Md and just to the west of Easton's Delta then west Keeping St. Michael's and Tilghman Island off my right wing and out over the Chesapeak Bay. Toward the ADIZ. I called up Patomac approach and adivsed I was WHINO gate 8 miles east. I was told to stand by and figured I wasn't going to get clearance though the Bravo so I circled and lost 2000' then headed south over the bay until they gave me my ADIZ squwak code. Interestingly the Controller asked me why I wanted to go through the ADIZ, I seriously thought about telling him that it was because the ADIZ lay between me and my intended destination but thought better of it and just told him I didn't want to mess with threading the hot Restricted zone to the south. It seemed good enough for him and he gave me my code but denied my Bravo request and said he'd vector me around the Bravo altough I could manage that on my own.

I got through the ADIZ without incident and was surprised at how fast they told me to squwak 1200 after exiting the GRUBY gate as AOPA recomends not ditching the code to quickly upon exit.

Anyway I arrived at Shannon Airport about 15 later. Clearing the trees and cars on the road at the Fence was neat but all it all it was a great little airport with super friendly people a woman named Billie is one of the owners and she is on premisis pluse they have really inexpensive fuel $4.39 today.

As for Fredericksburg it is a great little Civil War Era town with lots of great restaurants and a short cab ride in. not sure how much it costs as by buddy left me his sporty new Mini Covertable at the Airport for me to use for the weekend.

The flight home was not to bad. Although I had to stay a bit low 2500' due to scuz and bad viz. Just my luck and similar as to when I went to Gastson I had a headwind on the way home as well. I made better time though as the wind up north died down the scuz also cleared but the ceilings stayed los and I was able to cut the corner underneath the DC Bravo. I picked up Flight Following North of Easton and wisley kept it till only 4 miles to UKT. I considered cancelling when I was with in 12 nm of UKT but they called no less than 4 planes between MXE and UKT the last of which was a plane at my altitude heading SW and 1 mile at 12:00 I was really looking for it when out of my left eye I caught it, a mooney that just screamed across my nose on an angle it was a real WHOA moment. Asking my wife to keep an eye out for traffic is usless because she falls asleep about 500' off the ground and dozes until were on final approach. I guess I shouldn't complain at least she has no qualms about flying with me.

All in all a grate weekend for flying and a great use of GA. Flying anywhere is great but cross countrys for a purpose are the best IMHO.

Adam, sounds like a great trip and a good write up. Nothing like flying to your destination, over all the traffic. I haven't done the "ADIZ" as of yet but with so many missions for Veterans Airlift Command out of the DC area it will only be a matter of time.

Asking my wife to keep an eye out for traffic is usless because she falls asleep about 500' off the ground and dozes until were on final approach. I guess I shouldn't complain at least she has no qualms about flying with me.

Yep, sounds like Mary! As my Bride always says, "it's just another mode of transportation at this point".

Good write-up Adam.
Glad you enjoyed the weekend, it was a great time to fly.

Marisol does the same fall asleep thing on me too. Like you said I don't complain either as she enjoys riding along.

Sounds great, Adam!

I need to take the ADIZ course. Maybe sometime after the election I'll plan a flight down to KJYO to visit some friends, that'll be a good excuse to take the course and practice.

Yep, sounds like Mary! As my Bride always says, "it's just another mode of transportation at this point".

yea Tamson did wake up for a bit some where North of Easton and we were a bit south of the C&D canal and it had gotten clearer up North and we could see the cooling towers plumes at PTW well over 50nm away and I was saying " HEY Look at that, thats Pottstown" thats when I got the stock answer " Thats nice" then it was back to :sleep: and people wonder why when I fly with my entire family my daughter has sat right seat since she was 7, she can read a chart and thinks its cool.:yesnod::yesnod:

Also FWIW the ADIZ course was pretty good and they have some good print outs as Rob pointed out in another thread the AOPA ASF course is very good as well.

Man I just love XC flying everyonce and a while its good to look behind ya as well. When we were headed north up the Chesapeak bay from just north of Pax NAS I looked back to compare the viz behind us and out in front. the bay looked like it went on forever and the water was just a glistening silver and steel color just amazing. A view you could never get from the ground. As Gary Shelby likes to say when were flying " Were the luckiest people in the world"

Awsome write up Adam, thanks for sharing. I"m hoping to get good weather for my wife to go to St. Michaels weekend at KESN, dec 13th. So far, she's still nervous if it isn't glass smooth, so I"m hoping this longer flight she'll see the advantage of GA transportation vs driving, and not think about reminding me about the $$$.

Great report Adam. Sounds like a great trip.

When we were headed north up the Chesapeak bay from just north of Pax NAS I looked back to compare the viz behind us and out in front. the bay looked like it went on forever and the water was just a glistening silver and steel color just amazing. A view you could never get from the ground.

Glad you had a good time, I've done the Phila - Washington drive enough times to know that it's a pain verses flying - could be 3 hours, could be 6 hours! The Chesapeake Bay area in the fall is one of the most beautiful areas around!

Gary

As for Fredericksburg it is a great little Civil War Era town
cool flight Adam. If you have not done it before do go back and take the time to visit the Antietam battlefield. This was the bloodiest day in American history, almost 23,000 killed in a single day!

A walk down the bloody lane where nearly 3000 died in one hour is an amazingly sad walk. The war could have been won on that day by the North but thanks to union ineptitude and superior generalship of the south the war would go on another 3 years.

Glad you had a good time, I've done the Phila - Washington drive enough times to know that it's a pain verses flying - could be 3 hours, could be 6 hours! The Chesapeake Bay area in the fall is one of the most beautiful areas around!

Gary

Ironically the leaves have not really changed much down there yet.

cool flight Adam. If you have not done it before do go back and take the time to visit the Antietam battlefield. This was the bloodiest day in American history, almost 23,000 killed in a single day!

A walk down the bloody lane where nearly 3000 died in one hour is an amazingly sad walk. The war could have been won on that day by the North but thanks to union ineptitude and superior generalship of the south the war would go on another 3 years.

I've been to Antietam when I was younger and in the Scouts we Hiked the C&O canal and did lots of Civil War Cites, Antietam, Appomatox. Fredericksburg was a huge union Defeat on Sunken Road. Of course I think the best is Gettysburg. The licensed private guides that drive in your car are fantastic.

That's over near Frederick, MD, not Fredericksburg Va. A bit of a drive. I flew to Martinsburg WV one day and went right over the Antietam battlefield at 2500ft. Very cool, and a very interesting perspective on Bloody Lane.

Adam- sounds like a great flight. Kudos to you on attacking the ADIZ. I'm a chicken -- I always file IFR if I want to go through. All those gates and blah blah blah....

Back