A great day for flying!

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Today was a pretty day out, nice for flying by my standards - slight breeze, puffy clouds at a higher altitude, and perfectly clear visibility.

So, for the first time in a couple of weeks, I managed to get my instructor out for a lesson. We took up his Comanche 180 and I got my complex endorsement. Woohoo! Now I have high performance and complex, and as he put it "You could legally fly a Caravan if you found an insurance company stupid enough to insure you on it."

But that was the little news. The big news, and the news that I was far more excited about, was when my friend Andrew called me (during my lesson, so I had to call him back). I had been telling him for a month or so now to start wearing crappy shirts to his flying lessons, as he was approaching the time for his first solo. He gave me the news today that he had completely forgotten my advice, and got a nice shirt ruined! When I got back I called him back and congratulated him, the news put an ear-to-ear smile on my face, and then I ran around telling everybody at the FBO (all 3 of them... not exactly busy here).

Reportedly, it all went well. He was out at FRG doing some flying with his instructor, and then they came in for a full stop. His instructor said "Well, this plane is unsafe with me in it, so I'm going to get out now." Signed the papers, told him what to do, and off he went. He did his 3 times around the pattern. Two of them they extended his downwind, and one they changd him from left hand traffic to right hand traffic (both standard at FRG). He was prepared, and he said it was a great feeling, as it always is. He also reported having an ear-to-ear smile.

Andrew's been waiting for this day for a long while, his flight instruction has had some unfortunate delays and interruptions along the way. I know my smile is not as big as his, but I am extremely happy to see that this day has come for him. If his instructor had bothered to call me, I would have flown out to witness it myself!

Congratulations, Andrew! :goofy:

Congrats to Andrew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's why you called while I was at Ricks. (Phone was in the car)

Andrew was the one we went to Corning with right?

Yep, that was him. This day has been a long time coming for him.

Back