A good day to watch FLIGHTAWARE

john smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
john smith
Today is an especially interesting day to watch the comings and goings into the Washington DC metro area on flightaware.com.
Lots of commercial charters, too.
KDCA KIAD KBWI

What other airports might be used?

Today is an especially interesting day to watch the comings and goings into the Washington DC metro area on flightaware.com.
Lots of commercial charters, too.
KDCA KIAD KBWI

What other airports might be used?

HEF, FDK, RMN, RIC, MTN, and probably HGR

Looking at our flights in and out of DC for the last couple days...everything to DC has been at capacity with some on the standby list. Everything from DC has been pretty close to empty. I'm guessing that will change this evening.

Looking at our flights in and out of DC for the last couple days...everything to DC has been at capacity with some on the standby list. Everything from DC has been pretty close to empty. I'm guessing that will change this evening.
Run while you can! :)

Last night, we got chased into College Station by one of your "old" 340s. He said there are still about 40 Saabs around but the Q was due into Houston in 2010.

Run while you can! :)

Last night, we got chased into College Station by one of your "old" 340s. He said there are still about 40 Saabs around but the Q was due into Houston in 2010.

Hopefully they weren't too mean as you were poking your way down final in front of them :D. The Saab still makes up the majority of our fleet (38 Saabs vs 15 Qs), but Continental just made it official last week that they're exercising their option for 15 more "NextGen" Qs in 2010. On top of that, they have another option for 30 more. They haven't said for certain where they're going to put them, but we assume that most/all of them will be going to Houston. So in the next year or two, you might be getting chased by Dash-trash!

Hopefully they weren't too mean as you were poking your way down final in front of them :D. The Saab still makes up the majority of our fleet (38 Saabs vs 15 Qs), but Continental just made it official last week that they're exercising their option for 15 more "NextGen" Qs in 2010. On top of that, they have another option for 30 more. They haven't said for certain where they're going to put them, but we assume that most/all of them will be going to Houston. So in the next year or two, you might be getting chased by Dash-trash!

So, Matt, how long until you upgrade and move to Texas (no state income tax... flying weather all year long...)?

So, Matt, how long until you upgrade and move to Texas (no state income tax... flying weather all year long...)?

Upgrade? Just waitin' for the phone call. Moving to Texas...well...you might have to talk to the wife about that one. Good luck with that! :D It's amazing to me how few instrument approaches our Texas pilots shoot each year...I'd be OK with that, and the lack of four feet of snow everywhere we go!

Upgrade? Just waitin' for the phone call. Moving to Texas...well...you might have to talk to the wife about that one. Good luck with that! :D It's amazing to me how few instrument approaches our Texas pilots shoot each year...I'd be OK with that, and the lack of four feet of snow everywhere we go!

A friend of mine who is an FO on an ERJ145 sent me this last month:
This last trip was interesting...
Cedar Rapids with blowing snow and gusts to 40kts... As we were waiting at the gate for Chicago to give us a wheels up time, a Comair went to the runway and came straight back to the ramp - they said they were weathervanning into the wind, ie not keeping control of the A/C... Made us pretty hesitant to go out there ourselves!
Finally when ord lifted the groundstop the snow was not as bad, and with the trucks working on the taxiways and runways non stop, the conditions on the ground were acceptable. Of course with the blowing snow we could barely see the yellow line and had to go extremely slowly!
The take-off was interesting too, as seeing the centre line was a challenge (and no runway center line lights of course). I managed to keep it on the centerline long enough for take off - that was the shortest take off roll ever (and I was glad it was short): full thrust (usually we derate), temperature of -12C, and gusts of 40kts on the nose, we were in the air in no time!!!!

Nawww... they were easy going. Besides, I was more concerned about my student. He was used to shorter, narrow runways and was suddenly thrown into a 7,000 x 150 foot runway with a black hole effect.

"What's field elevation?" "320." "What's our altitude?" "400."

That was with .4nm to go to threshold. :yikes:

He learned thanks to my being well aware of the terrain leading up to the approach. :)

Back