A funny thing happened on my way to solo

Scud_072

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scud
Hey ya'all... I am a new member and have enjoyed reading all the posts and seeing how supportive everyone is to each other. I am 55 and began my training in July and am starting on the XC portion of my training this month.

So the CFI tells me that I am ready to solo (at about 20 hours) and says I have to go for a pre-solo check ride with the DPE. I check with the flight school to book it and they tell me I have to book directly with the DPE. So I call, leave a message, get text back that we are on for Wednesday morning at 0900.

Driving to the airport, I notice that everyone is flying the pattern in the opposite direction than ALL of my previous flights. Well, "that will be interesting I tell myself" but still not nervous. I arrive right on time and the first thing the DPE says to me is "do you have a plane?" I said "no, I thought you had one?" The flight school said to book with you. We laughed but had no plane. So, turning to the flight school booker, I ask if there are any 172 available (they had three, and I had flown two of them) but those two were booked. But the third one was available. Why was it available on short notice you ask... because it was a bit of a dog and had some "known issues" one of which that the flap indicator didn't work particularly well. Still not nervous, I am up for the challenge and do the pre-flight and worked with the flaps quite a bit so I could develop a count to know if I had 10, 20, 30 or 40 degrees of flaps when I held down the lever.

Walking out to the plane I chat up the DPE about the pattern changing at a non towered airport and who makes the call to change designated runway as I comment on it being different than I have practiced. So now we both know that I know that the patten is different this morning.

So we fire up the plane, check the doors and belts, and I START TAXING TO THE PLACE I ALWAYS TAKE OFF and the DPE says "you are going the wrong way." DOH! Well... lets just say I lost my confidence, turned around, took off and asked what he wanted me to do, still reeling about taxing the wrong way when I knew I should have gone the other way. He says head west and level off at 2500. I do that and he says "power on stall." I slow to 1500 RPM and then started reaching for the flaps.. but stopped myself because I wasn't sure I was suppose to use them for that maneuver (I remembered later that I wasn't) but I noticed I wasn't confident in what I was doing which could mean I was unsafe so I said "I can't remember." Was this going to be strike three (no plane, wrong way taxi and this)? The DPE then said "slow flight" wanting to see if he was really wasting his time or not. But training pays off. My CFI and I had really worked on slow flight a lot and I nailed it loosing no altitude and flying at 40kts.. then we did a few other things and two landings (in the opposite directions) which were ok. The DPE gave me so good feedback at the end and cleared me for supervised solo with the CFI. Overall I was a good experience and I learned a lot. I saw and appreciated that I didn't beat myself up after any of the mistakes, didn't pee my pants and didn't quit and stayed safe. I soloed the next week which was fabulous. Completed my three "supervised solos" and have now taken it up by myself three times for practice and am enjoying the entire process immensely.

Thank you for reading... Happy New Year!

Why would a DPE do the pre-solo check?

I was also wondering about the DPE involvement for a pre-solo ride. Have never, ever heard of that. Are you working on private pilot, or sport pilot, or? Is this a Part 141 program, or Part 61?

This was a FAA DPE, not a flight school's prog-check examiner (usually an experienced senior CFI)?

Congrats on the solo. :)

greg

:confused: How much did you pay the DPE for this "Pre Solo Checkride"? Any CFI can sign you off to solo. Many places require a 'stage check' with a second CFI, no worries there, but it comes at normal CFI price. Since the DPE is also going to be a CFI, again, no problem, but if they're charging significantly more than your normal CFI charged, you're dealing with a pretty unethical place.

So, like, the school has a chief instructor who also is the DPE and who has to sign off before solo.

Glad it all went OK for you.

I was also wondering about the DPE involvement for a pre-solo ride. Have never, ever heard of that. Are you working on private pilot, or sport pilot, or? Is this a Part 141 program, or Part 61?

This was a FAA DPE, not a flight school's prog-check examiner (usually an experienced senior CFI)?

Congrats on the solo. :)

greg

I went through a 141 for my private and the person who rode with him was probably the Chief Pilot for the flight school. Sometimes they will/can be a DPE but not likely for their own flight school.

I went through a 141 for my private and the person who rode with him was probably the Chief Pilot for the flight school. Sometimes they will/can be a DPE but not likely for their own flight school.

Why not? The school I went to had their own DPE on staff.

Why not? The school I went to had their own DPE on staff.

Some schools have enough student volume that you would find a DPE on staff. Most of the smaller schools do not and the DPE usually served a few schools in the area for both 91 and 141 curriculum and may be on staff for one but not all of them.

So, like, the school has a chief instructor who also is the DPE and who has to sign off before solo.

Glad it all went OK for you.

I'm assuming this is the case but I too found it a little odd. My CFI soloed me directly without a second CFI getting involved.

Anyway, great post, welcome to POA, and glad you enjoyed your solo. You seemed to make good decisions all around. Best of all you recognized your mistakes, made sure to learn from them, and was safe 100% of the time. I suspect you'll make a fine pilot.

I wouldn't worry about the flap thing either. As a low time PPL I've definitely had many a time when I was practicing a maneuver and second-guessed myself into uncertainty. My mental process is when in doubt; ask. If you can't ask then ask yourself "what if I'm wrong?". If the answer to that is unsafe then find a way to make it safe or abort the maneuver until you can figure out what to do (this can also turn a failed checkride into a passing one if the DPE sees you working the problem in a safe manner, just explain what you're doing).

Best of luck with the rest of your training and happy new year!

Good job. Keep the momentum going...

THIS! After your solo keep your head in the game. Lock in those skills for your checkride and sleep with your pilot manuals and the FAR/AIM for your pillow.

Last edited:
Congrats,I'm confused on why you needed a DPE.I have heard of using stage checks with a different instructor.

Congratulations!
Looks like you did very well even with a little extra pressure.

Nice.

I'm confused too. Started in July, that's 6 months ago, you have about 20 hours and it's time to solo so you have to ride with an examiner?????
Something is very wrong with this. I think you are being taken advantage of.
At this rate you should get your certificate in about 5 years with about 200 hours and at a cost of probably $25,000. I am just guessing at this but there are so many things wrong with the OP's post.
Dale

Why would a DPE do the pre-solo check?

Sounds like the DPE may be the schools chief CFI and he does the phase checks.
Just that the schedulers referred to him as a DPE and not the chief instructor.

Hey everyone... thanks so much for all the comments, questions and concerns. Sorry for being such a noob... yes.. it was a "phase check" by the chief flight instructor who happens to be a DPE. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Thanks so much

Last edited:
...yes.. it was a "phase check" by the chief flight instructor who happens to be a DPE.

Seems kinda strange the chief flight instructor didn't notice you had not booked a plane for the flight..:dunno:

Either way.. You have the fever of flight,,, enjoy the ride sir..

I'm confused too. Started in July, that's 6 months ago, you have about 20 hours and it's time to solo so you have to ride with an examiner?????
Something is very wrong with this. I think you are being taken advantage of.
At this rate you should get your certificate in about 5 years with about 200 hours and at a cost of probably $25,000. I am just guessing at this but there are so many things wrong with the OP's post.
Dale

No worries... I didn't have too much time to fly due to work commitments but I am progressing nicely. I figure I will have it all done in less than a year if not sooner. Like I said just before this one...I remembered it was a "phase check" with the cheif flight instructor who happens to be a DPE.

Thanks for your concern. Scud

I did at least one stage check with the guy with examining authority at our 141 school I did my eventual checkride with.

Back