A fun blast from the past!!

DDD!

I remember that! Ground breaking! Then came the touch tone phone with the # & * key! Space age technology!

Most of the pilots here are still flying planes built back then. :rolleyes2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for posting! :yes:

Last edited:
The good ole days. When I get home I'm going to hook up my Kellogg Red bar wall phone. Those old phones has good action.

We were on a party line when I was a kid. Medieval, I tell you...

The party line,what a good time that was. Couldn't wait for the direct dial.

I wish I had a dollar for every time my Mom said "get off the phone!" to the old hag down the road who would pick up on the party line and listen to every word everyone said.

When I was a kid, my aunt lived in South Milwaukee and we lived in Racine, WI -- a distance of, what, 30 miles?

It might as well have been on the moon, for what they charged to call station to station. My parents finally bought something called "Metroplan" that allowed my mom to call her sister "x" number of minutes per month for a flat fee that was significantly cheaper.

Because she had Metroplan, and her sister did not, they devised a one-ring signal that told my mom to call her. This saved my aunt big bucks!

Remember when the Bell System rented you the telephones? lol I remember when we added a second telephone in the back of the house, sharing the same line -- this was a big deal, because we had to rent an extra phone!

(This is something foreign to kids today, but you could have multiple phones on a single line. I remember after getting my first cell phone -- a bolt to the floor model -- asking how I could add a second phone to the same line. The sales rep had to patiently explain to me -- and everyone else -- why that wasn't possible!)

And touch tone! Man, that was space age stuff. The trimline touch tone phone cost EXTRA to rent, so my dad wanted nothing to do with it. lol

Speaking of phone upgrades, remember making prank calls as a kid?

To a random number "Is your refrigerator running?"

To the guy who answered the phone at the bowling alley "Do you have 12 pound balls?"

(Almost) Universal caller ID has eliminated that entire line of juvenile fun...

DDD!

I remember that! Ground breaking! Then came the touch tone phone with the # & * key! Space age technology!

Most of the pilots here are still flying planes built back then. :rolleyes2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for posting! :yes:

My buddy still has an inverter battery bank made up of hundreds of the big glass 2.2V cells the phone companies used to use to provide the back up power supply for the phone system, they sold them all off for a couple bucks a pallet load when they shut down the mechanical switching facilities.

Speaking of phone upgrades, remember making prank calls as a kid?

To a random number "Is your refrigerator running?"

To the guy who answered the phone at the bowling alley "Do you have 12 pound balls?"

(Almost) Universal caller ID has eliminated that entire line of juvenile fun...

Or the line in Porkys. "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?"

Shows off my age when I remember all we had around here was 817 and 214. Making it real simple to know if the person you were calling was based in Fort Worth or Dallas.

We were on a party line when I was a kid. Medieval, I tell you...

Had one of those for a few years to locate parts. Base had a speaker in it, and to talk, you squeezed the trigger on the handset. When you did that, all members could hear you.

"Is the line clear???..... Yard 22 needs a transmission for an 86 chevy truck.... Anyone have a turbo 350? Yard 22 looking for ...." And if someone had it, they'd pick up their handset and respond.

We called it the "hoot and hollar" line.

Or the line in Porkys. "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?"

Well one line 6PC can't be using for a few days is

"Hello? Is Mr. Freely there? First initials I.P.?"

Every so often the phone company would come out to check how many phones we had. Dad would hide the extra phones we had in the basement and their master bedroom! Lol. I *just* missed party lines, my wife is a year younger and did experience them in Ohio as a kid.

the first phone we had was a box on the wall that you cranked the handle, then asked May Bell to hook you up with kids up the road.

When they gave us a rotary phone that old phone made one hell of a electrical experiment, I think I shocked every animal on the farm with it.

Oh Well, it doesn't take much to amuse a county kid.

That's a nice flashback!

I remember a crank phone at my grandparents house when I was a kid. And rotary phones at our house that would probably survive a nuclear blast.

We lived out in the sticks somewhere in Oklahoma once and dad needed a phone for the work he did. We were eight miles from the nearest phone line. Phone company said no way, but a call to a senator got the ball rolling and before long everyone on our road had a party line. Good times.

Fast forward to 1984 and I hired on with AT&T right after the bell system broke up. Unlimited overtime for all central office technicians to rewire/reroute all network circuits so that we could have an official demarc between local and long distance. They actually laid down tape on the central office floors to designate when you were in SouthWestern Bell or AT&T areas, and if you crossed over to do any work you had to sign in/out. One of the best jobs I ever had.

Did everyone in the 50s sound exactly the same? This guy sounds exactly like the guy the guy who did the intro to Leave it to Beaver.

CO techs have not looked or dressed like that in a LONG time.

DDD......another acronym brought to you by Bell Labs.

My favorite is DSL, in the lab it was known as a distance sensitive line. That cannot be sold to the public, so Digital Subscriber Line was used.:rolleyes2:

I wish I had a dollar for every time my Mom said "get off the phone!" to the old hag down the road who would pick up on the party line and listen to every word everyone said.

Man... Do i ever remember that.

It made no difference who's "ring" it was, the old battleaxe was always eavesdropping.

Now only the government does that.

I have my family's old 1973 Trimline touch tone phone on my nightstand because unlike my other phones it will keep working if the power goes out. Good in case of emergency.

I have my family's old 1973 Trimline touch tone phone on my nightstand because unlike my other phones it will keep working if the power goes out. Good in case of emergency.

Only if the CO maintained the battery plant and generators properly. Many are falling into disarray at unmanned COs these days.

Still a better chance than an overloaded cell network, but the bean counters know that nothing but a small fine will happen, if the CO drops in a real emergency. If even that. Economically they're better off not fixing them other than on a "best effort" basis.

There's a regulatory standard for how long an outage can last, but like I said, the consequences are low as long as the paperwork looks like they have it a half-assed try to do regular maintenance. The regulatory stuff has extended out to cellular now, but those battery plants are tiny.

Did everyone in the 50s sound exactly the same? This guy sounds exactly like the guy the guy who did the intro to Leave it to Beaver.

No, 3 guys narrarated everything back then, it was the same guy.:lol:

So wait, does it mean that we don't have to pick up the phone from the cradle, tap on the cradle several times and say "operator, give me Aspen 319" anymore? :eek:
:lol:
Loved the shot of the telephone wires and "hedgehogs" in the switch rooms, used to work on those in high school. Also loved the mention of "electronic impulses". Funny. "Gee, mister, is that magic?" "Sure is, sonny!" :lol:

20 years later, all these things fit in your pocket:

years.jpg

Dan

the first phone we had was a box on the wall that you cranked the handle, then asked May Bell to hook you up with kids up the road.

When they gave us a rotary phone that old phone made one hell of a electrical experiment, I think I shocked every animal on the farm with it.

Oh Well, it doesn't take much to amuse a county kid.

You can catch a lot of fish with one of those.

Don't get caught.

Back