A friend worth having..lost

Ponypilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ponypilot
I am new to POA and I am not a pilot but am very involved in the aviation world due to my daughter Tristan and I am the customer service manager at our FBO. I have lost a very dear friend today. He was one of the partners who owned Precision Avjet" in Panama City, Florida. He and a friend went to do manuevers in his acroduster and while the details are still comming in, they got into trouble and he told his friend to bail out, he did, landed in trees cut himself out of his parachute and called 911, we sent out a search and rescue and assisted the sheriffs office to the location with our C-172, Kevins dad was flying the mission, they located the airplane upside down in a copse of trees 1/4 mile north of the sod farm. an orange parachute was visible which turned out to be his friends chute, no signs of further activity. about 1 1/2 hours later we got the devestating news. Our friend was gone, dead at the scene. He leaves behind a six year old boy who is eat up with aviation fever and a 3 year old girl, a loving wife and friends galore. He was someone you wanted to be friends with, opportunity abounded while he was around. lessons learned and mistakes forgiven. this is to honor my Friend and his family. Aviators challenge earth and sky, sometimes we win, sometimes we die. It was too soon for Kevin, but it was not our choice. I cannot seem to stop the stem of tears. I pray for the safety of all my friends and family who love the life of aviation. May God be with you all.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'll remember his family and friends in prayer.

Im sorry for Tristan's and your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Pony, I'm very sorry for your (and our) loss. Sounds like we would all have liked to have known him.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/19983719.html

No number of words could do him justice as to the type of person he was to me, his family, and others around him. He was a great friend, suburb pilot, and a great father who did his best to inspire the love of aviation in others around him.

Aviation is a wonderful family in the fact that if we loose one member, all of us feel the loss. Although, it is different because it doesn't stop us from doing what we love. There is an unspoken oath pilots have made long ago; if one of us is lost, we still keep flying. Kevin would not want me to stop flying either, it's what he would have wanted all of us to do.

We all understand the risks we take when we fly but the gifts we are given during that time will always outweigh the loss. May he always be with us in our hearts and in a place of endless aerobatics.

I'm sorry, Lynn and Tristan... that's a terrible thing to happen. I'm sure he's someone we'll all miss. :(

Please accept my condolences to you, your family and the family in your loss. So sorry to hear this. My prayers for comfort to you all.

Tristan & Dad, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend! These types of losses are so shocking because they come without warning.

My condolences to both of you - and their family - on the loss. Aviation is one big family, it hurts all of us when something like this happens.

A very sad day.

There are no right words... just please accept my condolences, for all concerned and affected. My heart goes out to you all, especially Kevin's kids...

Sorry to hear this, Tris and Pony... it always hurts to be reminded in such a way how much we treasure our friends.

He was someone you wanted to be friends with, opportunity abounded while he was around. lessons learned and mistakes forgiven.
This is about the greatest thing a person can have said about somebody. My condolences.

Last edited:
Thank you all for looking at my post regarding my friend. I cannot believe he is gone, We set up a memorial at the FBO and we are using a logbook as the sign in for anyone who wants to say something to him or about him. I spoke with his wife today, she told their son that God needed a pilot and chose Kevin and his acroduster. today the airplane was brought back to the hangar, what was left of it. The man who was able to jump out helped recover the airplane from the woods. When he walked around the corner I grabbed him and we cried and cried for the loss of our friend. Pray for Craig Ellis, he s trying to deal with surviving and not Kevin, but thanks Kevin for his actions. I know we are not the first to loose someone, everyone lost is leaving someone behind. I hate this time of life, I treasure those who are sharing openly the love and loss of Kevin with me. I appreciate all of you for taking the time to read and reply. I have added a link to a video of Kevin Gorham in his acroduster. You will all recognize his smile while challenging the rules of gravity! http://www.acroflyer.com/

Look for Kevin Gorhams smile in his video

Tristan (T*) and Dad we are deeply sorry for your loss. Our feelings and prayers go out to you and all those hurting, especially his children. May your friend watch over his family as he stands by God's side.

Thanks for the condolences.

Just to clarify, Lynn is my mom... not dad.

Tris + Pony sorry for the loss. and Pony thanks for the link some very nice stuff on it .

Dave G

This is just too, too sad. :( I'm so sorry to hear it - thoughts and prayers to you all. :(

There are no right words... just please accept my condolences, for all concerned and affected. My heart goes out to you all, especially Kevin's kids...

Ditto. Such unhappy events so close to family can be staggering.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/19983719.html

No number of words could do him justice as to the type of person he was to me, his family, and others around him. He was a great friend, suburb pilot, and a great father who did his best to inspire the love of aviation in others around him.

I just read this. I'm so sorry Tristan. My condolences to you, your
family and his. It has to be a terrible loss.

RT

Terribly sorry about yoru loss. My deepest condolences.

Back