A friend wants a Mooney J

Is it because Mooney's are generally faster so you have to stay 1 step ahead?

Where would you find a GOOD Mooney instructor? Do they even exist in Florida?

there are several good mooney instructors. Go to mooneyspace and ask around. They even have a smaller section for Florida mooney owners.

I'm enjoying the airplane shopping part of it, (Especially due to the fact it's not my Money involved) but I'm trying to talk him into a M20C instead. From the research I've come up with: The initial costs are low, plus fuel and ownership costs are very reasonable as well. This will be his first airplane and with a J he admitted that he would be close to max budget so nothing major can happen. But you know how it is trying to talk someone out of something once their mind is made up.

I've never owned an airplane but from what I have gotten from all of you guys, (Thank you) is always have a reserve for those "Just in case" events that happen. He won't have that in a J.

In this situation a Ranger will satisfy the flying bug for a new pilot after transition training and give him the budget he needs to fly where ever he wants to and in my opinion that is what it's all about....freedom!

I have a C model, but I've always loved the Js. They are a great compromise of affordability and performance. If he plans to keep the plane for a while, I'd get what fits best. Desquawking a plane can be expensive. It's one major reason I haven't sold mine. After a few years and $$, I've got my plane pretty much where I want it.

The J is considerably faster than a C, has 5 inches more legroom for rear passengers and is fuel injected. If you get a johnson bar, hydraulic flap C model (like mine), you get a basic plane that is pretty darn hard to break. There have been times that I wanted/needed the extra room but the C has held up well for me.

Back