A friend in need...

And the door key on 95% of Cessna twins is in the left nacelle baggage locker. :D:D

The door lock on any GA plane is a joke unless the were replaced. I used to head out on the ramp with a small ring of keys that would open everything.

Insurance.

I chickened out and paid for a hangar at KLBF when the plane stayed there last summer while we did the OSH Yukon drive o' shame.

Later I asked if they'd had any hail in all the t-storms I watched roll across NE on the iPhone while I was enjoying OSH. Nope.

Over $100 for the week. Peace of mind, but was it worth it? Hard to say. Would they have pulled it inside? Hard to say.

Co-owners thought it was the right call too. There's always that aspect. If you have the option and don't take it, and create a hellish insurance paperwork PITA for co-owners, who's the forever bad guy?

$100 to put your plane for a week while on the road... There's a question as to the value?

$100 to put your plane for a week while on the road... There's a question as to the value?

I always second-guess anything that lowers my bank account. Ha. :)

But really, it was worth every penny in this case. I just shared mainly to say that insurance is the final option for anyone traveling with an aircraft. Sooner or later (or hopefully never), something will happen to the bird. Then it's the Actuary's problem. (Those same Actuaries know how many of us will pay for a hangar too. Grin...)

If I wasn't attached to the airplane as much as I am, say if it were just a beater time-builder in a former life, tie it down and take your chances. Life doesn't come with airplane sized bubble wrap. :)

Back