A forum for people who might want to become pilots

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
I have been hearing for quite some time about how we can attract people to become pilots. EAA has the Young Eagles Program and AOPA has "Be a pilot" But what can we as pilots do to encourage people to look at avaition and become a pilot. When I got my commercial rating I use to give plane rides that for 3 dollars a person and it was the classic a "Extended Pattern" flight that lasted a total of 15 minutes from start to shut down. My boss always said, "keep it tight" I know that some of those folks went on to become pilots. The LSA rule may help but what can we do to promote avaition in a positive matter. Since the internet is the way many get their information, should POA have a forum that is for folks who have an interest in flying and becoming a pilot.

Any ideals.

John J

John J said:
I have been hearing for quite some time about how we can attract people to become pilots. EAA has the Young Eagles Program and AOPA has "Be a pilot" But what can we as pilots do to encourage people to look at avaition and become a pilot. When I got my commercial rating I use to give plane rides that for 3 dollars a person and it was the classic a "Extended Pattern" flight that lasted a total of 15 minutes from start to shut down. My boss always said, "keep it tight" I know that some of those folks went on to become pilots. The LSA rule may help but what can we do to promote avaition in a positive matter. Since the internet is the way many get their information, should POA have a forum that is for folks who have an interest in flying and becoming a pilot.

Any ideals.

John J

I dunno, but I am willing to be a (AOPA) mentor to anybody who wants to step up to the plate...

RotaryWingBob said:
I dunno, but I am willing to be a (AOPA) mentor to anybody who wants to step up to the plate...

If you are interested in being a Project Pilot Mentor, but don't know any potential students personally, I recommend signing up on AOPA's Pilot Mentor page:

http://www.aopa.org/project_pilot/find_service4.cfm

You'll need your AOPA member number. You can either be an email-only mentor, or an in-person mentor (or both). I've done a bit of email-mentoring in the past, and plan to get more involved again when my over-full plate gets a cleared off in a couple months.

Jeff

Some time ago I and others, did mentor people who had interest in aviation and flying. This was before the formal programs of today. The one reason that I found is that many of the people had trouble with devoting time and energy to participate. There was no internet then. We would call and offer rides to the local airport to show them what goes on at some of the small airports. A few with a lot of help did go on to learn. What one person told me after he got his ratings said that what helped was the enthusium of the people at the airport. He also mentioned that on the days when the weather was bad, he had fun just listening and learning from the pilots who hung around and told stories about their learning experiences.

Thanks for the feeback

John J

lancefisher said:
I was surprised to find I'm the only one signed up in MN. Is this online signup service brand new?

No, actually it's been around for quite awhile. I just checked my old email - I was doing this starting in Oct. 2003. I will send an email to AOPA asking them to remind members of this program in an upcoming E-Pilot update.

Jeff

Edit: I also think the database requires you actively renew your participation every 90 days. This may be why it is pretty sparse now.

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know about the sign-up. I've mentored two people thru AOPA already and I didn't know about the sign-up page either.

I've posted up in the Pilot Training forum so this discussion is more "visible".

Jeff

Back