A fly-in home just went on the market a few doors down the runway

Hmm. My hangar house is worth about 3x what it would be with a three car garage in a typical neighborhood. Airpark homes are a hot commodity in Alaska.

When I see houses like that, I always wonder what the story is. Someone obviously spent a lot of money to update the place to match their taste, its not the kind things someone would just grow tired of.

Lacking a hangar. I wonder whether the covenants and building restriction lines would allow one to knock down that garage addition and put a combined hangar/garage onto the footprint of the garage + some of the apron. That would maintain the nice view out towards the runway and make it a real airpark home. It doesn't look like it it needs any internal remodel:

View attachment 100910

white 42ft caliper
red hangar outline
green garage door for the wifes car
yellow RV/truck parking

Is this on well and septic or are there utilities ? May have missed it in the listing.

The original story is that the house was built by one of the non-flying siblings of the developer. The updates were done by later owner but have no background.

Knocking down the garage to replace with a hangar probably wouldn’t be a problem (I’m on the board and familiar with the covenants). If I were to do it, I would probably add a standalone hangar off to one side to keep some runway view. I’m partial to separate hangars and homes but YMMV. Plus the house has a nice appearance from the street. I wouldn’t want to change that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back