A "flat lander" would like to fly from Florida to California.

Great thread and timely! I have to start planning a similar trip in the Fall to bring my plane back from Florida. Hopefully DA won't be too much of an issue in the Fall weather (and perhaps winds/turbulence won't be too much of a factor.)

What would be a "reasonable" time to fly each leg of the trip? Would a 4-5 hour per day cadence make sense? Or is it possible to eek-out an 8 hour flight day? I know a lot of this would depend on turbulence, WX, etc... but for planning purposes, would be good to know!

I've done 2 legs, 9 hours, but I was flying alone and carried a empty bottle just in case. I've done FL to west coast twice, both times southern route.

Trying to make sense of Cessna's model number system will make you crazy.

A retractable 172 is a Model 172RG. A retractable Cardinal is a Model 177RG. So of course a retractable 182 is a ... nope, it's a Model R182. But a Model R172 is a fixed-gear 172 with a bigger engine. And don't confuse the Model R182 with the Model 182R (or an R172 with a 172R). Or the Model 182T, or a turbocharged Model T182. You could also have a fixed gear Model T182R, but the turbo'ed retractable is the Model TR182. Still with me?

Another big-engine 172 was the Model P172, but a Model P206 had the same size engine as the other 206's but with nicer seats. And a Model P210 was a 210 with pressurization.

Put an 'A' in front of a Model 150 or 152 (A150/A152) and you've made it aerobatic. Put an 'A' in front of a 185 Skywagon or 188 Agwagon and you've made it with a bigger engine. Put an 'A' in front of a 182 and you've made it ... in Argentina!

There will be a quiz.

Reba's band was delayed after a concert, and the IFR flight plan had gone stale before the HS125 could depart. The crew decided to depart VFR, and stay low to avoid the nearby San Diego Class B shelf. Any number of bad decisions there.
A few years later a medevac flight went into the same mountain in nearly identical circumstances. These types of accidents are why IFR charts now have terrain shown.

Trying to make sense of Cessna's model number system will make you crazy.

A retractable 172 is a Model 172RG. A retractable Cardinal is a Model 177RG. So of course a retractable 182 is a ... nope, it's a Model R182. But a Model R172 is a fixed-gear 172 with a bigger engine. And don't confuse the Model R182 with the Model 182R (or an R172 with a 172R). Or the Model 182T, or a turbocharged Model T182. You could also have a fixed gear Model T182R, but the turbo'ed retractable is the Model TR182. Still with me?

Another big-engine 172 was the Model P172, but a Model P206 had the same size engine as the other 206's but with nicer seats. And a Model P210 was a 210 with pressurization.

Put an 'A' in front of a Model 150 or 152 (A150/A152) and you've made it aerobatic. Put an 'A' in front of a 185 Skywagon or 188 Agwagon and you've made it with a bigger engine. Put an 'A' in front of a 182 and you've made it ... in Argentina!

There will be a quiz.
Then there's Champs/Citabrias.

Back