A few questions from a foreign pilot

Ahron E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ahron E.
Hi all,

I am a private pilot from Israel, and am planning a trip to the US to accumulate flying hours. For reasons of work and family, I am restricted to just two weeks.

Now, I wonder if it would be better to do it in New York state or in Arizona. The main 3 issues are described below, and I would be very grateful for any advice, however partial.

I hope to come in either August or October (depending on how long it will take for the FAA to verify the authenticity of my foreign license).

1. Because of the very short time available, it would be a pity if there will be big periods of time of IMC (I am not instrument rated). For that reason, I think Arizona will be the best place. But perhaps I'm wrong: are the rainy days in New York so bad for VFR, or can you find even on the rainy days a few hours a day of VMC conditions?

2. A critical issue is the availability of the aircraft every day. For that, a small flight school with very few planes would not be appropriate, because of the risk that I will lose days while there isn't a plane for me. Can you just tell me names of relatively big reliable schools (both in New York state and Arizona) with a sufficient quantity of planes so I can assume that there will not be a problem of availability?

3. The complexity of the area, in terms of ATC, air space, etc. When I look on the sectional charts, the Arizona area looks much simpler. I just get dizzy looking at the New York intricacy. Wouldn't it be better for a relatively new foreign pilot to take his first steps in the simplest area? Or perhaps I can find smaller and quieter areas to train in also in New York?

Thank you all very much in advance. I really appreciate every tip that you can send me.

If you plan to get a 61.75 FAA license issued on behalf of your foreign one, make sure you book a time at FSDO to pick it up and also to do a BFR, otherwise you can't fly.

Hi all,

I am a private pilot from Israel, and am planning a trip to the US to accumulate flying hours. For reasons of work and family, I am restricted to just two weeks.

Now, I wonder if it would be better to do it in New York state or in Arizona. The main 3 issues are described below, and I would be very grateful for any advice, however partial.

I hope to come in either August or October (depending on how long it will take for the FAA to verify the authenticity of my foreign license).

1. Because of the very short time available, it would be a pity if there will be big periods of time of IMC (I am not instrument rated). For that reason, I think Arizona will be the best place. But perhaps I'm wrong: are the rainy days in New York so bad for VFR, or can you find even on the rainy days a few hours a day of VMC conditions?

2. A critical issue is the availability of the aircraft every day. For that, a small flight school with very few planes would not be appropriate, because of the risk that I will lose days while there isn't a plane for me. Can you just tell me names of relatively big reliable schools (both in New York state and Arizona) with a sufficient quantity of planes so I can assume that there will not be a problem of availability?

3. The complexity of the area, in terms of ATC, air space, etc. When I look on the sectional charts, the Arizona area looks much simpler. I just get dizzy looking at the New York intricacy. Wouldn't it be better for a relatively new foreign pilot to take his first steps in the simplest area? Or perhaps I can find smaller and quieter areas to train in also in New York?

Thank you all very much in advance. I really appreciate every tip that you can send me.

San Diego. http://www.plusoneflyers.org/ Many foreigners go there to do just what you are doing. Lots of airplanes and lots of instructors. Airspace is easy to fly in and the controllers are easy to work with. Don't let the funny shape of the Class B scare you. I'm not in San Diego now but I could make some phone calls and see what you would have to do to join the Club ahead of time so you would be all ready to get in the air when you get there. There are some active members here on POA who may offer to help you with that.

Chandler Air Service in Chandler, Arizona has a program for this sort of time building. They are willing to schedule blocks of time in a plane, and offer up to a 20% discount for pre-payment.

http://www.aerobatics.com

The mid-Atlantic states and the Northeast US in summer are thunderstorm factories, some of the most vicious, if not the largest, on the planet. They often line up, in waves, hundreds of miles long. You might get a clean August, but it would be a gamble.

You might want to consider south Florida,if you can stand the heat.

Arizona (or Texas or Florida) in October would be my suggestion. August is usually pavement melting season in those locations, isn't it?

Hi all,

The weather patterns and terrain are vastly different between New York and Arizona. If those are the only two choices, I'd opt for Arizona. You won't get IMC there, but you will get afternoon thunderstorms in August. But early morning to noon should be good flyable weather.

If you plan to get a 61.75 FAA license issued on behalf of your foreign one, make sure you book a time at FSDO to pick it up and also to do a BFR, otherwise you can't fly.
Thanks!

San Diego. http://www.plusoneflyers.org/ Many foreigners go there to do just what you are doing. Lots of airplanes and lots of instructors. Airspace is easy to fly in and the controllers are easy to work with. Don't let the funny shape of the Class B scare you. I'm not in San Diego now but I could make some phone calls and see what you would have to do to join the Club ahead of time so you would be all ready to get in the air when you get there. There are some active members here on POA who may offer to help you with that.
Thanks! I really appriciate youre advice and I will check it out.

Back