A few questions about Austin

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
So, my plans have taken a bit of a turn for a year and it looks like I will be in Austin for about a year. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any individuals down there willing to do a "rental" and also any lawyers who may be looking for an intern or engineering companies looking for a mechanical engineer.
Thanks

Man, a pretty broad net you're casting there. Give a few more details (as to qualifications, etc.), might be able to make some suggestions.

You do know that Austin is the Dead Zone for GA.

Well, I graduated on Saturday in mechanical engineering and was planning on attending law school this fall. But due to a massive screw up with one of my letters of recommendation, my applications didn't go out until near the end of the deadlines and schools had already filled up their classes by the time they got to my application. I am originally from Austin and know a few engineers and attorneys down there so that's why I'm planning on being there. There seem to be a few more jobs down there than up here in Lubbock. I am wanting to to I.P. law after law school so something like that would be best but would take any exposure to the law side I can get. Otherwise, I'm looking for an entry level engineering job for a year. I'm not looking to make tons of money, just want to be able to live and maybe do some flying for a year before I start my application process all over again.

The folks live up in Round Rock and Leander so I will probably find a place up north and commute into town.

I am also only a PP-ASEL with about 65hrs so that will probably limit me on what I can get as far as renting someone's plane. I have flown with Pilot's Choice out of GTU before but would prefer to try to work with an individual for maybe a little nicer plane.

I am wanting to to I.P. law after law school
Have you ever actually claim charted a patent? Do it once and that should fix your desire to become an IP attorney. But if you are still set for it I understand that Freescale and Dell are looking for IP people in the law departments. These would be engineers who are reading patent disclosures and preparing forms for the attorneys. It is were you would start at the entry level. You would not likely be doing any licensing work until you got a couple of years under your belt. I know people who did this while going to law school as well. That is also something to consider.

Lots of kids who miss getting in for one reason or another find a small law school that isn't full and enroll there for a year, then transfer to wherever they want to go. You're just taking basic stuff first year anyway, so difference in quality, if any, is nil. FWIW.

Well, I graduated on Saturday in mechanical engineering and was planning on attending law school this fall. But due to a massive screw up with one of my letters of recommendation, my applications didn't go out until near the end of the deadlines and schools had already filled up their classes by the time they got to my application. I am originally from Austin and know a few engineers and attorneys down there so that's why I'm planning on being there. There seem to be a few more jobs down there than up here in Lubbock. I am wanting to to I.P. law after law school so something like that would be best but would take any exposure to the law side I can get. Otherwise, I'm looking for an entry level engineering job for a year. I'm not looking to make tons of money, just want to be able to live and maybe do some flying for a year before I start my application process all over again.

The folks live up in Round Rock and Leander so I will probably find a place up north and commute into town.

Scott's got a good recommendation - through and through.

I know some folks in San Antonio - pretty long commute. A few in Austin, too, but they're not in either area you're looking at.

BTW - law intern positions are really hard to come by these days. Some of the large firms in DC have even "released" some associates.

All the Dell patent guys I have known are EE undergrad. Does is matter?

Have you ever actually claim charted a patent? Do it once and that should fix your desire to become an IP attorney. But if you are still set for it I understand that Freescale and Dell are looking for IP people in the law departments. These would be engineers who are reading patent disclosures and preparing forms for the attorneys. It is were you would start at the entry level. You would not likely be doing any licensing work until you got a couple of years under your belt. I know people who did this while going to law school as well. That is also something to consider.

At this point, no way no how he's getting into any of the accredited law schools in Texas.

But does it matter for the first year if he goes to someplace in Indiana that has an opening?

At this point, no way no how he's getting into any of the accredited law schools in Texas.

To be honest, any law school which might admit a student this close in time to the beginning of the year is likely one which would not be of substantial value in transferring credits.

To be honest, any law school which might admit a student this close in time to the beginning of the year is likely one which would not be of substantial value in transferring credits.
What??!! You would judge someone on what school they went to and not the work they have done?? INCONCEIVABLE!!!

LOL!!

:D:D

All the Dell patent guys I have known are EE undergrad. Does is matter?
Generally it really does not matter. Dell probably has a lot EEs in the first place so more of them moved into that area. IP management is not usually a place that people seek out fresh out of school. It is something they get exposed to later.

The OP here is a little different as he is interested in IP law. People do seek that out. It is a good paying job if you can manage to not put the bullet through your head from the frustrations and sheer boredom of that part of the law. Maybe I am projecting my own feelings a bit. ;)

I would be surprised if Dell had no MEs on staff and was generating mechanical IP. But even if they were not a lot of the knowledge that any engineering graduate possesses would serve in this role. In the need it would be up to the hiring manager.

What??!! You would judge someone on what school they went to and not the work they have done?? INCONCEIVABLE!!!

LOL!!

:D:D

Good poke.

I chose my words poorly. What I intended to say is that I am aware of no accredited law schools which accept applications at this late date, and accredited law schools will generally not accept transfer credits from unaccredited law schools.

Because you have to have secured a degree from an ABA-accredited law school in order to sit for the Texas bar exam (and those of most other states, as well), attendance at an unaccredited school would be an significant expense without a measurable benefit.

The OP here is a little different as he is interested in IP law. People do seek that out. It is a good paying job if you can manage to not put the bullet through your head from the frustrations and sheer boredom of that part of the law. Maybe I am projecting my own feelings a bit. ;)

LOL...

But for reasons beyond my understanding, some people seem to enjoy it. I think the key is to be able to take the dumb idea that the orignial inventor had and expanding on it so it is something useful (and plug the holes in the original concept to make the IP harder to "work around").

But there are a plurality of implementation means obvious to those skilled in the art.

Back